bob. b

Bob where is it now on e bay bob :idea: :idea:
Prospice

Only just seen this Bob. I knew straight away though :wink:
Maureeng

What a good find Bobhamo. wonder where it's been. :?:
brenr

Maureeng wrote:What a good find Bobhamo. wonder where it's been. :?:
Hi it's in the main reception at Bootle town hall with a photo underneath of the school after incendiary bombs fell on it. it was locked away in the basement of the town hall and when i became Mayor of Sefton in 1999 i enquired of the education director Bryn Marsh if he knew of the clocks whereabouts as Bryn had presented me with a book he co authored titled Bootle and the blitz and the clock was in it., hence it resurfaced and takes pride of place in the town hall and stands as a fitting reminder of the devastation and loss that Bootle residents suffered in the blitz, I was aware that there was very little to commemorate the sacrifices of Bootle and its people and even though I had the clock put up im forever humbled when im in the town hall by what this clock represents.

kind regards

Councillor Bobby Brennan
BOBHAMO

Thanks brenr :lol: :lol:
i did know where it was but thanks for your input on displaying
it in the town hall
as a bootle lad who worked for the corpy :lol: :lol:
there where lots of bootle items of our history which have been
misplaced :lol: :lol: i think the new musuem /art building in southport
not good old bootle is going to display some of are treasures
i have a long list of what was at bootle
and hope most of these will be displayed??????????
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanA

Off at a tangent, I know, but when Keats Street was demolished I tried to get one of the cast iron street name plaques. I would have paid good money for sentimental reasons but no-one could tell me where they'd gone and it was assumed that they'd just gone for scrap. Such a lot of heritage disappeared.
BOBHAMO

Ian its a pity nobody in the council
thought of thats a good idea make some money
instead of scrapping all the signs ,lamposts,
and putting plastic in its place
with it being Sefton now we lost are individual identity
one of my jobs on the corpy was to paint the street signs :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanA

I always knew you were an artist!

And the old gas lamps - a bit of old rope slung from the cross bar - the 1950s answer to the Play Station. :lol:
Matt

Talking about signs, lamp posts etc. the people I used to live
with in Downing road bought the lamp post that used to be
outside their house and although it does not work anymore
it is now erected in their front garden in Childwall Park Avenue.
They also bought the vestibule door with all the beautiful
stained glass from 101 Downing Road and had their house remodeled
so as it could be fitted to make a vestibule there.
Matt
brenr

As well as having the clock displayed in Bootle Town Hall I also had the boroughs chains of office brought back from Southport to the Mayoral corridor in Bootle Mayors parlour. The chains consist of the Bootle Mayor/Mayoress chains, the Litherland urban district council chains, Crosby council chains and Formby UDC and Southport chains. all of which had been on display in the Southport mayoral office but remain now in Bootle, when I had them moved to Bootle in 1999 it was supposed to be temporary re-located for my mayoral year only ha ha.

I would be interested in a list of missing Bootle items as Im sure we could arrange for a display cabinet in the foyer at Bootle town hall to enable Bootle residents to view them and I would certainly support any proposals to have Bootles artefacts/memorabilia displayed in its rightful place in Bootle.

Well done Bobhamo for what you do in raising awareness of Bootle past and present.

Bootle born King Avenue
Cllr Bobby Brennan
Prospice

There has been a lot of talk on the Southport forum about Southport becoming independent from Sefton. I hope that when they do become independent, if ever, that Bootle's musuem contents are returned. In fact I don't hope, I know that they will, because I will campaign tirelessly for this, prior to any independence happening!
bob. b

Oh thank you for this post bob Brenr and Prospice well l go back to the days they took everything from Bootle town hall and l mean everything.

Was there ever an inventory of what they took in them days to me a Bootle lad they took everything to Southport.

Remember having a good debate with a councillors in the eights in Southport he lost the plot with me all you are talking about is the past.

You tell me where it went no answer wish l could turn back the clock as they say l would like to meet him now and have the same debate with him. Never did get his name ????
Think he will remember me ????

Well this is something l personnel would be happy to help others investigate further what they took from Bootle town hall in them days.

Where did all the silver go too all the pictures and all the interesting things from the past . Bootle town hall was thieving in them days with historic things from the past.

You can see l have a interested in this post believe me they took loads from Bootle.

I look at Bootle town hall now they are running it down this is history too me and we need to look after it.

Regards bob would like to talk to an historian on this subject face to face they took the lot from Bootle .
Prospice

See the link for Bootle Museum artefacts etc...

http://www.theatkinson.co.uk/exhibition ... ollection/
lily8

Great post :D

Was any of this ever recovered??
PRICELESS" coin collection and other precious artifacts in the trust of Sefton Council are feared to have been stolen from the public.

Council bosses admit they have no idea what has become of the Dethick-Brown collection of rare Roman coins, which was housed at the Botanic Gardens Museum, and have reported the loss to the police.

A host of other items including rare Victorian and early American coins, Egyptian antiquities, oil paintings and birds' eggs are said to be missing or damaged.

Tory candidate for Meols ward in the May elections, Mike Swift, has accused public officials of being "asleep at the wheel".

At the Southport Area Committee last Wednesday he asked for reassurance that efforts would be made to find the missing items.

Mr Swift was told about the missing artifacts by coin expert Alan Dawson, secretary of Ormskirk and West Lancs Numismatic Society, who reported the apparent loss of the Dethick-Brown collection to the council in November.

His reply from head of leisure services, John Taylor, said: "Despite a thorough search of the museum and the art gallery, the strong rooms at Bootle and Southport Town Halls and enquires made at other museums likely to have been interested in borrowing it at the time, the collection has not been found.

"Without offering this as any kind of legitimate excuse, this loss dates from a time when there were no nationally agreed standards for the management of collections, security at both sites was minimal and
staffing levels were poor."

The loss had been reported to the police and the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council's crime file and security at Botanic Gardens Museum had
been tightened, he added.

The Dethick-Brown collection featured Roman emperors Carausius and Allectus.

"They were very important coins, they were in splendid condition and there were a lot of them," Mr Dawson said.

He said the value was probably in the high thousands, but for research they were "invaluable" and had been "woefully underestimated" by the museum.

On offering to help catalogue the musuem's coins last year, he also noticed a rare Victorian gold five pound piece and rare early American coins were missing, together with ancient coins inherited from the Bootle Town Hall Collection.

Mr Dawson viewed the museum's cellars with a police officer and found "tray after tray of birds' eggs smashed under foot and strewn all over the
floor, stuffed birds lying broken and mildewed, oil paintings in smashed frames and cabinets of Masonic and other ceremonial regalia lying rusting and damp."

Mr Taylor from Sefton Council replied that all that was in the cellars at that time was "general junk", despite an art dealer friend of Mr Dawson valuing one of the broken oil paintings at a four-figure sum.

Earlier this year former Sefton Labour councillor Brian Reynolds told Champnews.com he believed art works lent to council staff for their offices had been kept after their retirement.

These allegations were denied by Sefton.

Meanwhile, Mr Swift is determined to take the matter further.

"I am not satisfied with the response I got," he said.

"I am awaiting a written reply to my question. What was very
interesting was in the council chamber a member of the public dashed across to thank me for raising the matter and to say some items a relative of hers donated had also disappeared."
Lily
lynne99

My Dad donated a large collect of ship's flags to Bootle museum when he retired in 1960s. He did this to keep them safe for the people of Bootle. He was a very proud Bootleite.
Just looked at the Museum's site. Do they have an e mail address??
Elaine Goulding

Excellent thread Bob, some really interesting feedback. Sincerely hope everything that is missing is recovered. Good luck to you all on this very worthwhile cause.
Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
marknjen

lynne99 wrote:My Dad donated a large collect of ship's flags to Bootle museum when he retired in 1960s. He did this to keep them safe for the people of Bootle. He was a very proud Bootleite.

Just looked at the Museum's site. Do they have an e mail address??
Lynne i think your dads flags are still hanging in the main chamber in bootle town hall! there are loads all in their original state hanging beautifully from the ceiling! :D
lynne99

Marknjen, :D :D
You have made my day. Is there any chance of a photo of the flags
Lynne :D :D
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

wow Bobhamo! thanks :wink:
there you go lynne i knew someone would come to the rescue! x
mark x
lynne99

Thank you. I seem to spend my life thanking Bobhamo and now you as well Marknjen
BOBHAMO

Sorry to post back but this photo of the flags
are from ww2 jonnie walkers collection the u boat hunter
sorry lynne
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

im at town hall tomorrow so will ask about them for you Lynne! can you give me any more info that may help? thanks
x
Glenys

I have been on a jury twice in that room - coroner's court - very impressive indeed.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
lynne99

I think they might have been ships pennants , but that is only a guess. It was before 1965 , but how long before that I don't know . Any info would be gratefully received thanks
BOBHAMO

Hi Lynne the flags whereshipping company house flags
my mate who is a mind of info on bootle :D :D :D
told me the flags where in roberts school first then whe n your dad went the georges
he passed the m on to the town hall
they where in the geography room
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

Thanks Bobhamo, You are so helpful. Now what happened to them ??? Thanks again
Roy Deegan

Hi Bob, I agree with the others the picture is brilliant and whether it is yours or taken by someone else it is the fact that you have it available and not forgotten that is important. Our history and past memories/experiences our the things that make us and you help so much with that so keep on all your good work. Roy
marknjen

Hi Lynne, was in the town hall today with prospice and asked about the flags, they could be in another room upstairs prospice took photos so may be able to put them on later for you! Bare in mind though he's very busy a moment with various things :wink:
marknjen

marknjen

marknjen

Maybe these are your dads flags
marknjen

marknjen wrote:Maybe these are your dads flags
Thanks prospice :wink: