Marian Square Statue

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Postby Mickc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

daddyfixit wrote:
john1878 wrote:
marcos_cu wrote:In many ways the Marian square is largely changed from how it was, the names on the shop fronts have changed,there are now a few benches and of course the statue has gone. But in it's essentials the square remains as it was.

Does anyone else have any memories of the the square back in the old, happier, days?

My mother was the manageress of Ashe & Nephews(off license)

there was a lad in the tommies whose mum was the licensee as well ? he lived on sefton estate and his surname was blanchard .........is it the same person we are talking about ???

Danny?
Mickc

Postby john1878 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

daddyfixit wrote:
john1878 wrote:
marcos_cu wrote:In many ways the Marian square is largely changed from how it was, the names on the shop fronts have changed,there are now a few benches and of course the statue has gone. But in it's essentials the square remains as it was.

Does anyone else have any memories of the the square back in the old, happier, days?

there was a lad in the tommies whose mum was the licensee as well ? he lived on sefton estate and his surname was blanchard .........is it the same person we are talking about ???

No our surname is Doughty.My mother was there round about the mid sixties-we also lived on the Sefton Estate
john1878

Postby Innocent Bystander » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 am

daddyfixit wrote:
john1878 wrote:

That'll be Higher End Park - I knew one of the Blanchards
Innocent Bystander

Marion Square - Nems

Postby alfieb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:33 pm

alex wrote:Jimmy Tarbuck opened NEMS shop in the square.

Alex

I used to live in Sherborne Avenue (1955 - 1979) - I remember the day Tarbuck opened NEMS - It was either the first or second shop, set back, next to what used to be the Co-Op. I rememeber he had a grey 3 piece suit on, white shirt with an open neck (no tie) and that he hadn't shaved. Scruffy man I thought!!

I also recall that they used the Fine Fare supermarket (top right hand corner of the square as you look at it) to film a PG Tips advert with monkeys. Didn't see much filming but had a giggle as the men tried to catch the monkeys to get them to perform!!!

Don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the shops that were across the road BEFORE the square was built? I remember the first shop was the Co-Op and that's all I can remember...age kills the memory!!
alfieb

Postby Bri » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I too remember Jimmy Tarbuck opening NEMS, I think it was a Saturday morning, kids everywhere. The shop was either the first or second after the CO-OP, also recall a laundrette ? Of the old shops opposite the Square I seem to remember the rent office and a Civil Defence outlet, I might be wrong.
Bri

Postby henry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:25 pm

ALFIE
DID YOU KNOW THE BRISCOS FROM SHERBOURNE AVENUE
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Re:

Postby Flyboygrounded » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 am

Mack wrote:Received from George William by email

Mack

Photos of the statue ------ gratefully received from Crosby Library Services

I'm new to this site and was hoping to see photos of the Marian Square statue. I can't see them, only a broken link. Can they be put back up again?
Flyboygrounded

Re: Marian Square Statue

Postby J.F.G » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello

I am also unable to see the photos of the Marian square, just a black box and the word " image ".

But I do have two very good black and white photos of the square taken from the flats above what was Woolworths, which I think I have attached.

Kind regards

John
J.F.G

Postby steve55 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

Click for larger image!

steve55

Postby marknjen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Great photos, any others of the square and surrounding areas?
marknjen

Previous

Return to Talk about the History of Bootle here