Photo - The Crescent - Bailey Drive

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
frank delamere

dockersdaughter wrote:Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butchers
on my way home from school=roberts, i used to go to the bakery and buy
for a penny a pudding cake. they were great. it was yesterdays cakes put between some pastry.
frank
frank delamere

Pamsy wrote:Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butc<<

Hey Dockersdaughter, you have a great memory....ha...boy that brought back a lot of memories to me, used to love going to those shops and if you turned around and looked across the roundabout you would see wooden benches which the elderly would sit on to get some air and socialize...later on they removed those benches and a bus stop took over.....
pamsy, the benches in the round building, i thought they were still there.
before my dad died, he would say, don!t worry alice, the bus will drop you outside, on the path will be a bench to rest on, and a tap, so you will not have to walk. and i will be straight across from you.when he died 1959, they put a bus stop around the corner in watts lane. they made an opening by the toilets, for people to go through, as you went through, turn right. a bench, next to it a water pipe, and my father was buried directly opposite in the second row of graves. was that a coincidence
frank
frank delamere

Sheila Graham wrote:[
pamsy, the only one i can think of would be the bootle knowhere guide, or
www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk
which one would you be thinking off. do you really know me
frank
----
We have exchanged mails on the bootle knowhere board Frank, but I don't think you have been on the scousers...sheila.g[/quote]
hello sheila, yes! we have exchanged e,mails. regarding the scousers site, i have never heard of it, to be honest.
frank
Pamsy

, turn right. a bench, next to it a water pipe, and my father was buried directly opposite in the second row of graves. was that a coincidence
frank

wow Frank that is amazing.....my grandfather is buried in that area also, his last name was RIGG .... he is behind that wall in that area...one wonders if the television show that does the Ghost Hunting should visit that site....ha....no, I thought they took the old benches away and redid that area...gosh wish we had a pic of it, what it looked like back then....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
frank delamere

Pamsy wrote:, turn right. a bench, next to it a water pipe, and my father was buried directly opposite in the second row of graves. was that a coincidence
frank

wow Frank that is amazing.....my grandfather is buried in that area also, his last name was RIGG .... he is behind that wall in that area...one wonders if the television show that does the Ghost Hunting should visit that site....ha....no, I thought they took the old benches away and redid that area...gosh wish we had a pic of it, what it looked like back then....
sorry pamsy, i can!t help you there
frank
garthur

Was fascinated to read the postings about The Crescent. Used to hang out there in the late sixties with my friend. I got caught by my mum hanging around the "old Man's Hut" (the round building with the benches) when I was 14 with my friend and her boyfriend. I got "hammered" all the way home to Thornton Avenue!!!

My oldest friend (with whom I was with at this time) used to live on Bailey Drive.
Pamsy

garthur wrote:Was fascinated to read the postings about The Crescent. Used to hang out there in the late sixties with my friend. I got caught by my mum hanging around the "old Man's Hut" (the round building with the benches) when I was 14 with my friend and her boyfriend. I got "hammered" all the way home to Thornton Avenue!!!

My oldest friend (with whom I was with at this time) used to live on Bailey Drive.
early sixties I was coming home at night from visiting my girlfriend in Moss Lane and I realized I was being followed so I started running but the kid caught up with me and grabbed my arm, I turned and fought him off but saw out of the corner of my eye some 'teddy boys' hanging around on the corner of the Crescent under the lamp post. I thought oh no, I could never fight them off but they came running over and grabbed this kid and the kid went running off someplace....I didn't get a chance to thank them but I was so appreciative and turned the corner on to Bailey Drive then up to Turner avenue, on to the street my nin lived....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
garthur

Do you remember the Lamonts on Bailey Drive or the Cannells on Turner Ave?

Shame about the group of boys who used to get bad names just for being on that corner. My friend's boyfriend was a Jackie Moore and I remember lads called Dave Coleburn and Mick Ball. They were a couple of years older than us but, really, they were decent lads.
Pamsy

garthur wrote:Do you remember the Lamonts on Bailey Drive or the Cannells on Turner Ave?

Shame about the group of boys who used to get bad names just for being on that corner. My friend's boyfriend was a Jackie Moore and I remember lads called Dave Coleburn and Mick Ball. They were a couple of years older than us but, really, they were decent lads.
well after that incident I had great faith in 'teddy boys' as they sure came to my rescue....not sure about the names here as it's been so long ago and some kids on Turner avenue I would know by face as it was my grandparents that lived on Daley Place....Lamonts sounds familiar though
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
bobdowson

Pamsy wrote:Pam i do remember one or two from Clemmey Drive Hurley
Madden, do you recall the Spence family who lived
the first block on Southport Rd Mrs Spence had 22 Kids

Mr Hurley was my teacher in JUNIORS, don't know if his family lived on that street though...Spence family sounds familiar to me...

I remember in JUNIORS Mr Robertson, a teacher, always said BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, so if you came to his class late he didn't mark it down....I never forgot that.
hi pamsy,
i remember you from masefield cres i lived in captains green (26) my gran and grandad lived next to the spence family at 554 southport road. regarding mr hurley he was my form teacher in my last year at roberts (1958). he then went to st george of england and he became my form teacher in my first year there. i have fond memories of peter hurley he was a good and fair teacher. i met him some years later as he taught my eldest daughter in bootle high school.
bob-d.
Pamsy

bobdowson wrote:
Pamsy wrote:Pam i do remember one or two from Clemmey Drive Hurley
Madden, do you recall the Spence family who lived
the first block on Southport Rd Mrs Spence had 22 Kids

Mr Hurley was my teacher in JUNIORS, don't know if his family lived on that street though...Spence family sounds familiar to me...

I remember in JUNIORS Mr Robertson, a teacher, always said BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, so if you came to his class late he didn't mark it down....I never forgot that.
hi pamsy,
i remember you from masefield cres i lived in captains green (26) my gran and grandad lived next to the spence family at 554 southport road. regarding mr hurley he was my form teacher in my last year at roberts (1958). he then went to st george of england and he became my form teacher in my first year there. i have fond memories of peter hurley he was a good and fair teacher. i met him some years later as he taught my eldest daughter in bootle high school.
Hi Bob, you and me are the same age then....don't know if I remember you....do you have any class pics to show on here? I have one of Mr Hurley with our class....can you name any of the kids in your class to see if I can remember you? thanks Bob
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

i remember you from masefield cres i lived in captains green (26) my

Hi Bob, do you remember Billy Schettles that lived above his parents vegetable shop? he lived on the green....he was at Roberts and later went on to Skerry's College on Rodney street and in the same class as me...he was a very smart person...often wondered how life treated him
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
bobdowson

Pamsy wrote:i remember you from masefield cres i lived in captains green (26) my

Hi Bob, do you remember Billy Schettles that lived above his parents vegetable shop? he lived on the green....he was at Roberts and later went on to Skerry's College on Rodney street and in the same class as me...he was a very smart person...often wondered how life treated him
hi pam,
i do remember billy at roberts, here goes with some of the names that i remember gerry mcginn, jimmy slieght, malcolm gordon, doreen curtis, jackie carey, roy philips, robert holder, margaret curran, sonia johnson, victor rimmer, sheila cummings, barbara davidson, grace gilland, david teare, heather morse, charmane hedgcock, barry scott not to sure of the spelling with some of them. if i remember any more will let you know. have a photo somewhere of my last year at roberts, mr hurley was our teacher will try to dig it out.

regards, bob.
bob-d.
bobdowson

Pamsy wrote:i remember you from masefield cres i lived in captains green (26) my

hi pam,
just been testing the old grey matter regarding billy, i think his name was strettle, but could be wrong.
bob-d.
Pamsy

bobdowson wrote:

hi pam,
just been testing the old grey matter regarding billy, i think his name was strettle, but could be wrong.
No I think you are right....I would like to find him but no clue where he would be now....some of the names you mentioned I remember real well and some of them are on FRIENDSREUNITED so if you aren't a member there you should join the site, it is worth it.....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
bobdowson

Pamsy wrote:
garthur wrote:Do you remember the Lamonts on Bailey Drive or the Cannells on Turner Ave?

well after that incident I had great faith in 'teddy boys' as they sure came to my rescue....not sure about the names here as it's been so long ago and some kids on Turner avenue I would know by face as it was my grandparents that lived on Daley Place....Lamonts sounds familiar though
hi pam
just sitting pondering again i was born just off bailey drive behind the church in roberts place (its now a sheltered accommadation.) i remember mrs lamont i think that she was in the orange lodge, also remember a family called bevers not to sure if they lived next door to her or not, also hugh baird whom the college in bootle is named after lived by there before he moved up to masefield place. i used to deliver weekly
pools coupons to hugh baird when he lived in masefield place.
regards, bob.
bob-d.
Pamsy

also hugh baird whom the college in bootle is named after lived by there before he moved up to masefield place

You know my friend Patricia Sandys was related to him and he used to live by the Walnut Pub and I would go with her when she visited him and for some strange reason I never liked him....right now I couldn't tell you why....ha
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Martyn

Hi Bob

Looking at the list of names you recalled, I recognize one - Heather Morse. Her older brother, Brian and I have been friends since we were kids. They lived on Bailey Drive about halfway between Pearson and Rafter. Brian lived out here in Canada (Vancouver) from 1966 up until last fall, when he finally decided he'd had enough of the rain and moved down to Sedona, Arizona. Brian also has an older sister, I recall that she has a slightly unusual name, but I can't recall it. (which is not unusual for me - duh!)

Do you remember the Bibby twins? I think they were about the same age as Heather. They lived on Bailey Drive about halfway between Pearson Drive and Orrell Lane. They had two sisters, the older one was Sheila and the younger one Judith.

Martyn
Pamsy

[quote="Martyn"]Hi Bob

Do you remember the Bibby twins? I think they were about the same age as Heather. They lived on Bailey Drive about halfway between Pearson Drive and Orrell Lane. They had two sisters, the older one was Sheila and the younger one Judith.

I kinda remember them....hard to remember all the names
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
bobdowson

Martyn wrote:Hi Bob

Looking at the list of names you recalled, I recognize one - Heather Morse. Her older brother, Brian and I have been friends since we were kids. They lived on Bailey Drive about halfway between Pearson and Rafter. Brian lived out here in Canada (Vancouver) from 1966 up until last fall, when he finally decided he'd had enough of the rain and moved down to Sedona, Arizona. Brian also has an older sister, I recall that she has a slightly unusual name, but I can't recall it. (which is not unusual for me - duh!)

Martyn
hi martin,
i remember judith bibby, did she have a brother called kenneth ? . i also recall a family called reynolds, girl called sylvia and i think a sister called dorothy but not to sure. were you from around bailey drive ?. i was born in prefabs behind the church.
regards. bob
bob-d.
Pamsy

reynolds, girl called sylvia

yeah I remember Sylvia Reynolds.....my nin lived at Daley Place, off Turner Ave off Bailey Drive so I used to go there for lunch every day from school....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Martyn

[hi martin,
i remember judith bibby, did she have a brother called kenneth ? . i also recall a family called reynolds, girl called sylvia and i think a sister called dorothy but not to sure. were you from around bailey drive ?. i was born in prefabs behind the church.
regards. bob[/quote]

Yes, Ken Bibby was one of the twins - can't remember the other one's name. If I recall correctly they were pretty decent soccer players - even though they were a few years younger than us they used to be able to hold their own.

I grew up just around the corner from Bailey Drive, number 71 at the top of Orrell Lane.

Cheers

M
Martyn

You know, I've been thinking about this, I think I may be confusing things here, perhaps Ken and Judith were the twins and there wasn't another boy. Its just odd that I can remember playing soccer with Ken, I can even sort of remember his face, yet I have no picture at all of another brother. That could be it.

. . . As I've said before, I'm hopeless at remembering stuff from way back.

M
bobdowson

Martyn wrote:You know, I've been thinking about this, I think I may be confusing things here, perhaps Ken and Judith were the twins and there wasn't another boy. Its just odd that I can remember playing soccer with Ken, I can even sort of remember his face, yet I have no picture at all of another brother. That could be it.

. . . As I've said before, I'm hopeless at remembering stuff from way back.

M
hi martyn,
thinking about it ithink that you could be right, again like you a lot of water has passed under the bridge since those days and, the old gray matter is not what it used to be
bob-d.
johnnypom

Hi All,
I'm John Delamere, son of Len who owned the chippy on the Cres (and later the dairy) mentioned earlier in this post. Not only did my dad run the chippy and live in the flat above it but my sister was actually born there (still smells of chips, hehe).
Ron Waters... are you our old pools man ???
My mum and my sister still live on Bailey Drive, but I'm long exiled to Australia.
Glenys

Welcome Johnnypom,
I'm sure you will find lots of folk who remember you and your family.
Do you remember a family called O'Keefe from Southport Rd., near the Crescent?
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
ron waters

JOHN I noticed you joined the site in August last year , it might be a bit late to welcome you on here , but I do now , you must realize Frank Delamere in Dublin is your dads cousin , just as I am , your Grandad Len Delamere was my mothers brother , and Franks dad Billy was another brother , before your dad had the chippy on the Crescent remember your grandparents had it , my uncle Len and Auntie Nora .
I was only talking to our Jean yesterday about us all going to your dads wedding , with your mam Anne being from Bootle Village , the wedding was in St Monicas Church , it being in your mams parish , it was my brother Ken who collected the Pools money , he passed away in 1991 I seem to remember your dad also passed away soon after Ken , our Jean always gets a Christmas card from your mam each year ,Jean only lives a stones throw away from your mum .
ttfn
From Ron and Anne
frank delamere

hyah JOHN, it took a long time for you to write a post, if you keep on trying, you will get there. thanks for the e,mail, i shall reply soon.
don!t worry, i am too tight to kick the bucket just yet, i have not received all my taxes back yet

frank
johnnypom

Thanks for the welcomes, yep I joined a while ago but don't get to log on at home very often, thanks to the presence of two young kids (and a scouse wife).

Glenys, the O'Keefe name rings a bell, would there have been any at St Robert Bellarmine's when I was there (1971 - 1978) ?

Ron, you're right about my mum and dad's wedding, St Monica's on 9th June 1956. I was back in Bootle last November and scanned in a few photos and documents, including a few from my Nanna Norah's (your Auntie Norah) house in Southport Road.

Frank, I've just been reading around the site and see you've been ill recently... hope you're feeling better now ? Yep I'll get used to these computer things, one post in two years just isn't good enough !

A question for Ron and Frank... the grave in Bootle Cemetery of my granddad (dad's dad) has the names Jack Delamere, John Leonard Delamere and Norah. My photo of it is very blurred so I can't make out dates on it... am I right in saying that my dad's dad was called Leonard Delamere but was known as Jack, and his dad was John Leonard ?

Apologies if it's a few days between my posts.
ron waters

JOHN I have just been speaking to our Jean who has a good knowledge of our family history , and remembers your Grandad was usually called Leonard , but cant remember him being called Jack , maybe he was in his younger days . but your mum would know would'nt she .
Cheers from Ron
frank delamere

johnnypom wrote:Thanks for the welcomes, yep I joined a while ago but don't get to log on at home very often, thanks to the presence of two young kids (and a scouse wife).

Glenys, the O'Keefe name rings a bell, would there have been any at St Robert Bellarmine's when I was there (1971 - 1978) ?

Ron, you're right about my mum and dad's wedding, St Monica's on 9th June 1956. I was back in Bootle last November and scanned in a few photos and documents, including a few from my Nanna Norah's (your Auntie Norah) house in Southport Road.

Frank, I've just been reading around the site and see you've been ill recently... hope you're feeling better now ? Yep I'll get used to these computer things, one post in two years just isn't good enough !

A question for Ron and Frank... the grave in Bootle Cemetery of my granddad (dad's dad) has the names Jack Delamere, John Leonard Delamere and Norah. My photo of it is very blurred so I can't make out dates on it... am I right in saying that my dad's dad was called Leonard Delamere but was known as Jack, and his dad was John Leonard ?

Apologies if it's a few days between my posts.
john, jack delamere was your g,grandfather, buried 1938, john,leonard delamere was your grandfather, will post details possibly to morrow
frank
johnnypom

Hi Ron and Frank again,
Yep I spoke to mum last night and she confirmed what Frank said... my dad was Leonard, his dad was John Leonard but known as Len, his dad was John Leonard but known as Jack.
I'm enjoying doing the family tree, I know you've done it Frank but I'm enjoying the chase for info.
frank delamere

john, if you p.m me, with your address again, i shall send the tree on.ronw could not open it, he is the only one, not to be able to. lilly8 gave some info about both our grandfathers being in the ww1, which i never knew about. the paperwork you will see. did you know, your g,g,g,grandmother was a gypsy? and married at 15yrs. in 1861
heres the info you wanted on the headstone[also in the tree]
john delamere born 12sept 1869 died 20th march 1938 aged 69yrs

his son and wife
john leonard born 8th july 1899, died 1t july 1960 agd 61yrs

norah born 24th ma 1907 died jan 4th 1980 aged 72yrs

you will also see your g,grandmother EMMA full family tree back to te 1500s

frank
johnnypom

Thanks heaps Frank (as they would say over here). I've pm'ed you.

Glenys, I asked my mum about the O'Keefe's, she said "oh yeah, we still see Ethel O'Keefe at the bingo, and there was Linda the youngest...".
EdMcDonald

[quote="Pamsy"]Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butchers<<

You got them all correct and in the right order as well :wink: