Photo - The Crescent - Bailey Drive

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Pamsy

EdMcDonald wrote:[quote="Pamsy"]Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butchers<<

You got them all correct and in the right order as well :wink:
[/quote]

MORTON'S had the best ice cream.....and you could watch the butcher chop the meat and his apron would be full of blood...also the cats used to hang round his shop....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Pamsy

Martyn wrote:[hi martin,
i remember judith bibby, did she have a brother called kenneth ? . i also recall a family called reynolds, girl called sylvia and i think a sister called dorothy but not to sure. were you from around bailey drive ?. i was born in prefabs behind the church.
regards. bob
Yes, Ken Bibby was one of the twins - can't remember the other one's name. If I recall correctly they were pretty decent soccer players - even though they were a few years younger than us they used to be able to hold their own.

I grew up just around the corner from Bailey Drive, number 71 at the top of Orrell Lane.

Cheers

Hi Martyn, I knew your house well.....as many a time I biked around that round about going back and forth over the bridge to Bailey Drive...amazing what we could do as kids....all changed now

M[/quote]
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

Mack wrote:Thought this pic may interest a few of our Bootle members who lived up the posh end of Bootle LOL.....

The Crescent... near Bailey Drive + Moss Lane

Mack
fond memories of the Crescent and the round about and the old bus shelter by the cemetery....we used to live on Clemmey Drive
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
EdMcDonald

Mack wrote:Moss Lane Surgery July 2006

Wasn't that where a Doctor Flanagan used to practice :?:
john w

Sheila Graham wrote:

Is this Old John Flanagans surgery?, then his nephew took over, not a patch on his uncle though..sheila.g
Although I’m really too young to remember Gilbert Harding on What’s My Line, old Dr. Flanagan used to remind me of him. Adding time together, I must have spent years in his waiting room, counting the little sticks between the leather seat and the leather backrest of the long couch he had there. He had a pretty fierce receptionist, whose name I forget.
I found ‘young’ Dr. Flanagan somewhat pompous and condescending, I knew him from his surgery in Crosby. He reminded me a bit of Peter Ustinov in looks.
Pamsy wrote: my parents used to live on Clemmey drive by the Crescent ....
I think where my classmate Tony Hoare lived too. Occasionally he appears on this forum, as Tonio. He and a few others (e.g. a lad surname Culshaw also from Clemmey Drive) often played hide-and-seek on the island at the Crescent, in those days it having many more bushes to hide behind than it does nowadays.
frank delamere wrote: at the other end of the crescent second from end was a chip shop, my aunt nora delamere owned this.
I remember once catching a no.57 bus to town, at the Crescent end of Watts Lane, only for it to stop half way around the island at the Crescent. The driver then got out of his cab and disappeared. Some passengers got disconcerted, in case the bus had broken down, while behind cars hooted and beeped because the bus blocked most of the roadway.
The conductor then stood at the front of the bus and announced to everyone on board, that it was just a brief delay, that the driver had just gone to get fish and chips for them both, because they'd had nothing to eat during their turnaround at the terminus in Ford and they knew the chippy on the Crescent was the best chippy in Bootle!
EdMcDonald

bobdowson wrote:
Pamsy wrote:
garthur wrote:Do you remember the Lamonts on Bailey Drive or the Cannells on Turner Ave?

Shame about the group of boys who used to get bad names just for being on that corner. My friend's boyfriend was a Jackie Moore and I remember lads called Dave Coleburn and Mick Ball. They were a couple of years older than us but, really, they were decent lads.
well after that incident I had great faith in 'teddy boys' as they sure came to my rescue....not sure about the names here as it's been so long ago and some kids on Turner avenue I would know by face as it was my grandparents that lived on Daley Place....Lamonts sounds familiar though
hi pam
just sitting pondering again i was born just off bailey drive behind the church in roberts place (its now a sheltered accommadation.) i remember mrs lamont i think that she was in the orange lodge, also remember a family called bevers not to sure if they lived next door to her or not, also hugh baird whom the college in bootle is named after lived by there before he moved up to masefield place. i used to deliver weekly
pools coupons to hugh baird when he lived in masefield place.
regards, bob.
Come on Bob. You can do better than that. Mrs Beaver lived in 57 Bailey Drive and Hughie Baird lived in 59. Les and George Morgan lived in 67
bobdowson

EdMcDonald wrote:
bobdowson wrote:
Pamsy wrote: well after that incident I had great faith in 'teddy boys' as they sure came to my rescue....not sure about the names here as it's been so long ago and some kids on Turner avenue I would know by face as it was my grandparents that lived on Daley Place....Lamonts sounds familiar though
hi pam
just sitting pondering again i was born just off bailey drive behind the church in roberts place (its now a sheltered accommadation.) i remember mrs lamont i think that she was in the orange lodge, also remember a family called bevers not to sure if they lived next door to her or not, also hugh baird whom the college in bootle is named after lived by there before he moved up to masefield place. i used to deliver weekly
regards, bob.
Come on Bob. You can do better than that. Mrs Beaver lived in 57 Bailey Drive and Hughie Baird lived in 59. Les and George Morgan lived in 67
hi ed happy new year to you can't remember the morgans moved to by orrell pleasure when i was 8. dad gives his regards. good result at the weekend !!!
bob dowson
bob-d.
EdMcDonald

bobdowson wrote:
EdMcDonald wrote:
bobdowson wrote: hi pam
regards, bob.
hi ed happy new year to you can't remember the morgans moved to by orrell pleasure when i was 8. dad gives his regards. good result at the weekend !!!
bob dowson

It was a great result for us at the weekend. England beating Wales, at Twiwickernham, is what you mean. Regards to you your dad.
Ed
johnnypom

john w wrote:
Sheila Graham wrote:

Is this Old John Flanagans surgery?, then his nephew took over, not a patch on his uncle though..sheila.g
Although I’m really too young to remember Gilbert Harding on What’s My Line, old Dr. Flanagan used to remind me of him. Adding time together, I must have spent years in his waiting room, counting the little sticks between the leather seat and the leather backrest of the long couch he had there. He had a pretty fierce receptionist, whose name I forget.
I found ‘young’ Dr. Flanagan somewhat pompous and condescending, I knew him from his surgery in Crosby. He reminded me a bit of Peter Ustinov in looks.
Pamsy wrote: my parents used to live on Clemmey drive by the Crescent ....
I think where my classmate Tony Hoare lived too. Occasionally he appears on this forum, as Tonio. He and a few others (e.g. a lad surname Culshaw also from Clemmey Drive) often played hide-and-seek on the island at the Crescent, in those days it having many more bushes to hide behind than it does nowadays.
frank delamere wrote: at the other end of the crescent second from end was a chip shop, my aunt nora delamere owned this.
I remember once catching a no.57 bus to town, at the Crescent end of Watts Lane, only for it to stop half way around the island at the Crescent. The driver then got out of his cab and disappeared. Some passengers got disconcerted, in case the bus had broken down, while behind cars hooted and beeped because the bus blocked most of the roadway.
The conductor then stood at the front of the bus and announced to everyone on board, that it was just a brief delay, that the driver had just gone to get fish and chips for them both, because they'd had nothing to eat during their turnaround at the terminus in Ford and they knew the chippy on the Crescent was the best chippy in Bootle!
My dad owned the chippy then, he'd have been pleased to hear that story !
Ed Davies

Hi John
I went to the Scouts with your Paul we have talked before. Your dad use to cash my cheques from the TA He was a realy nice guy and loved doing the disappearing coin trick with the change in his shop :D
Hope your all keeping well.
Ed
peewak

Hi all,
I used to live at 72 Bailey Drive but i'm better now!
I remember Mrs Morton as being very kind and the shop full of fantastic smells!
The sweet shop/newsagent was called "Eddys" (Eddies?) for many years and the Delamere's,who also lived on Bailey Drive,ran the chippy.
I also recall(I think!) a very early version of tesco,meat and flies in the front window!
As I grew older,(13)the "offy" became the big attraction as we were able to buy sherry by the pint from a plastic "barrel," and mix it with a bottle of Woodpecker! - it's a wonder I'm still here.
I seem to have a mental block as to the nature of the last shop to the right,Southport Road -side,probably as it was too close to "Tiger Bay!!!!"
Pamsy

peewak wrote:Hi all,
The sweet shop/newsagent was called "Eddys" (Eddies?) for many years and the Delamere's,who also lived on Bailey Drive,ran the chippy.
I also recall(I think!) a very early version of tesco,meat and flies in the front window!
As I grew older,(13)the "offy" became the big attraction as we were able to buy sherry by the pint from a plastic "barrel," and mix it with a bottle of Woodpecker! - it's a wonder I'm still here.
I seem to have a mental block as to the nature of the last shop to the right,Southport Road -side,probably as it was too close to "Tiger Bay!!!!"
wasn't it the butcher shop?
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
culshy42

the lad culshaw who used to join in hide and seek was either my dad david or his brother adrian.they also had a sister diane.my dad has told me about his mate monk.does anyone know him?
PETER CRAIG

culshy42 wrote:the lad culshaw who used to join in hide and seek was either my dad david or his brother adrian.they also had a sister diane.my dad has told me about his mate monk.does anyone know him?
Welcome to the Bootle forum culshy42,
Peter.
EdMcDonald

peewak wrote:Hi all,

Don't think the sweet shop was called Eddies. That was on Moss Lane opposite the Carlton cinema. There was an older lady who ran the one in The Crescent. Pretty grumpy as well
Ed Davies

It was called Eddies I was a paper lad their he had other shops and a Cash and Carry The first Cash and Carry was in Bedford Place that burnt down .Then he moved opposite still in Bedford Place and finally to 275 Derby Road.
Ed
EdMcDonald

Ed Davies wrote:It was called Eddies I was a paper lad their he had other shops and a Cash and Carry The first Cash and Carry was in Bedford Place that burnt down .Then he moved opposite still in Bedford Place and finally to 275 Derby Road.
Then I stand connected. :wink:
Ed Davies

The Crescent 1970

10 Hackney G. butcher
9 Delamere L. J. fried Fish dlr
8 Weavers Chandlery Stores Ltd. chandlers
7 Bailiff E. draper
6 Gillespie Mrs. I. grocer
5 Standish H. (chemist) Ltd. Chemist
4 Eddy's confctnr
3 Scott Thomas & Sons (Bakers) Ltd
2 Ross Wm. Ltd fruitrs
1 Morton Jas dairy
Ed
EdMcDonald

Ed Davies wrote:The Crescent 1970

10 Hackney G. butcher
9 Delamere L. J. fried Fish dlr
8 Weavers Chandlery Stores Ltd. chandlers
7 Bailiff E. draper
6 Gillespie Mrs. I. grocer
5 Standish H. (chemist) Ltd. Chemist
4 Eddy's confctnr[/i
]3 Scott Thomas & Sons (Bakers) Ltd
2 Ross Wm. Ltd fruitrs
1 Morton Jas dairy

O-K Don't rub it in :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ed Davies

Thought it might prick a few memories I had forgotten about the bakers
Ed
john w

culshy42 wrote:the lad culshaw who used to join in hide and seek was either my dad david or his brother adrian.
Yes, the first name Adrian rings a bell.
Shaun

Wasn't the Offy called Odd Bottles from the early 80's?
Chapel Street/Derby Road now Park Lane, Bootle
gill frost

I remember Len Delemere, he helped a number of ladies who decided to do a sponsored walk from the shop on The Crescent to Southport around 1974. My mum took part but I have no idea where the sponsor money was going. Vaguely remember a picture in the Bootle Times.
John Jarvis had the fruit shop next door and I worked Saturdays in there for a couple of years.
Born n bred in Bootle
PeterR

Coming in on this thread a bit late but never mind.
Shops I remember on the Crescent were -Craigs the butcher -Cassidy's the chippy- Then the Chandlers -then The Drapery -Then Hugh Owens -the grocers shop Managed for many years by my uncle Alf Hagerty -then Standish Chemist- then Clarks sweetshop and Cigarettes (Mrs Hazell)then Scotts -Then Ross's then on the end Mortons dairy--these recollections date from 1938 to 1958 when I moved up the road to Orrell Park.
By the way Mrs Spence 552 Southport Rd only had ONLY 20 children -My Sister and I visited Her 1987 -she was as bright as a button ,telling us that after Mr Spence had died and she found that He had a lot of money in his bank account -Had She known of this He would have gone to heaven a lot sooner than He did !! :D I used to play out in the street with Tony Spence. calling for him Mrs Spence always made us a Jam Butty
Mr Spence was tug Master with Furness Withy towing company
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Gortaphuill

I was in the same class as Marie Spence in St. Robert Bellermine's.
Thackeray Gardens, Merton Grove, Walton and Birkdale, now Co Mayo
EdMcDonald

PeterR wrote:Coming in on this thread a bit late but never mind.
Shops I remember on the Crescent were -Craigs the butcher -Cassidy's the chippy- Then the Chandlers -then The Drapery -Then Hugh Owens -the grocers shop Managed for many years by my uncle Alf Hagerty -then Standish Chemist- then Clarks sweetshop and Cigarettes (Mrs Hazell)then Scotts -Then Ross's then on the end Mortons dairy--these recollections date from 1938 to 1958 when I moved up the road to Orrell Park.
By the way Mrs Spence 552 Southport Rd only had ONLY 20 children -My Sister and I visited Her 1987 -she was as bright as a button ,telling us that after Mr Spence had died and she found that He had a lot of money in his bank account -Had She known of this He would have gone to heaven a lot sooner than He did !! :D I used to play out in the street with Tony Spence. calling for him Mrs Spence always made us a Jam Butty
Mr Spence was tug Master with Furness Withy towing company
Peterr

All them Spence girls were absolutely gorgeous. :wink:
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers" Future Stanley Cup Champions. :D
A long way from Duncan B.C. :wink:
Glenys

Anyone remember the O'Keefe family who lived Southport, close to the Crescent?
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Pkegs

I found Ann Ellerbeck. She is deceased.
Pamsy (Joined: 21 Jul 2006)

Keegan, Hayward, Rigg, Carruthers, Mee, Hough

Born and bred in Bootle
Dan

Bootle Times November 11 1982

Down Your Way Johnston Avenue

n3ttl3

Glenys wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am Anyone remember the O'Keefe family who lived Southport, close to the Crescent?
I went to school with Ena O'Keefe, still in touch with her.
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
Pamsy

Dan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:45 am Bootle Times November 11 1982

Down Your Way Johnston Avenue

Thank you for this article. My nin lived off Johnston Avenue at DALEY PLACE over 50yrs.
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Glenys

Re the O'Keeffes, late of 546 Southport Road, the girls were, Kathleen and Linda.

G.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Dan

Bootle Times September 12 1930

The opening of the Crescent.