Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Jan.

Author Topic
Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 10:57:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

have a look at this website

http://www.scouseology.com/?cat=11

Scroll down to the heading William (Klondyke Bill)Jones. Builder of most of the houses in Bootle.

Jan

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 12:08:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a book written by the Welsh Author E. Wyn Hughes called "Looking Back" Anglesey life in Bygone Days.

In the book is more or less William Jones's life story, it also lists the streets in Bootle that William Jones built. I am not sure if it is a full list, but the author has done a wonderful job. I also have a postcard, a picture of the house in Anglesey where William Jones lived when he was commuting from Bootle to Anglesey. The house is now a B&B.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 20:58:47

Ah! I see now. His main residence was located in Monfa Bootle - hence Monfa Road + also that area of Bootle is known as the "Klondyke" which like the Queens Road area is earmarked for demolishion + re-development. I wonder how he would feel about this if he was still around today.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 22:48:14

Hi Mack & Jan read the article - very intersting as I lived in two of the house the family built. Think the last of the line was called Glynne and it was from him we bought our first house in Arvon Street, all the streets around there where named after members of the family. The house I lived in when a child was also built by the Jones family and the Streets where named after places in Wales hence it became known as Little Wales i.e. Rhyl St Holywell St, Flint St. Anglesey St, Bangor St. I know that area has now all gone and the Klondyke area is due to go also. The Klondyke ones where the first to have electricty installed - privately by the landlord and it was switched off at 10.00 o'clock every night. Most of them built around 1900. Irene

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 22:53:19

Hi Mack,

I am sure William Jones would turn in his grave.

Have you ever noticed that the colour of the bricks on a lot of old houses are a pale yellow? These were the bricks that were made from Welsh Clay, probably transported here from Wales by Mr Jones! Although, Bootle did have it's own brickworks and quarry, the quarry was situated on or near Hawthorne Road, owned by the Wells family, I think Charles Wells was the main owner. In 1884 John Wells was Mayor of Bootle and in 1904 William Jones's son Owen Kendrick Jones was Mayor of Bootle.

Jan

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2006 : 20:53:58

Hi Jan - yes there was a brick works nr Hawthorne Rd - my first husbands grandfather worked there. Irene

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 00:20:18

Hi Irene,

I found this reference on the Access to Archives website!
Held at Wirral Records Office.

Miscellaneous items connected with Storeton Quarry and the Wells family

FILE - Two deeds - ref. ZST/13 - date: nd
item: [no title] - ref. ZST/13/1 - date: 1899
[from Scope and Content] Lease of the "Holt Lane Quarry," WHISTON, Co. Lancaster, from James Hindle, quarry master, of 14 Pilkington Road, Southport, to Charles Wells, quarry master, of "Red Stone Quarries, BOOTLE. 1899. (Corrected copy. The lease covered all plant and equipment as well as the quarry itself.)
item: [no title] - ref. ZST/13/2 - date: 1904
[from Scope and Content] Acknowledgement of right to production of documents; William Oswald Kellett to Messrs. John Wells and Charles Wells.

There are other references but may be too much to post here!

Jan

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 00:47:39

This entry is from Liverpool Directory for 1911

Charles Wells J.P. Quarry Owner 126 and 128 Hawthorne Road Bootle, and Mount Road Higher Bebington. Res- Richmond House Burscough Junction.

John Wells J.P. - Office 40 Keble Road Bootle - Res 33 Grosvenor Road Birkdale southport.

Sadly, 40 Keble Road has been demolished!

Jan

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 22:23:43

A bit more on William Jones at this website!

http://www.anglesey.info/LlwydiarthFawr.htm

With pictures of the house that William and his family used when in Anglesey.

Jan
Dan

Bootle builder William "Klondyke" Jones.

Paul McCabe

(Taken from Google)

Llwydiarth Fawr;

One time home of William (Klondyke Bill) Jones, who became the Mayor of Bootle William Jones (1840-1918) was born in a house named Pen Cefn in the village of Bodwrog, the son of Robert & Elizabeth Jones. His paternal grandparents – Hugh & Mary Jones – lived.

Cheers

P
Jan

William Jones lived at one time at 9 Merton Road.

The house became a nursing home later in years and the house along with No 11 remains a nursing home today. I briefly worked there myself some years ago, but this was before I knew the history of the house.

Here is William (klondyke Jones) with his family and servants 9 Merton Road Bootle in the 1901 census.

9, Merton Road, Bootle cum Linacre, West Derby, Lancashire, England

Household members (8 people)
Copy to clipboard
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Jones Head Married Male 61 1840 Builder Anglesey, Wales
Eleanor Jones Wife Married Female 55 1846 - Derby, Derbyshire, England
Robert A Jones Son Single Male 24 1877 Estate agent Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Marion E Jones Daughter Single Female 21 1880 - Bootle, Lancashire, England
William G Jones Son Single Male 18 1883 Builders clerk Bootle, Lancashire, England
Mary Williams Servant Single Female 28 1873 Cook domestic Caernarvonshire, Wales
Grace Jones Servant Single Female 22 1879 Housemaid domestic Anglesey, Wales
Elizabeth Jones Servant Single Female 16 1885 Kitchen maid domestic Caernarvonshire, Wales

He did have another son Owen Kendrick Jones who took over from his dad in the building trade after William died.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

Here is the family in 1891 census still at 9 Merton Road, they were still there in 1911.

Household members (9 people)

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Jones Head Married Male 51 1840 Builder & brickmaker Llanerchymedd, Anglesey, Wales
Eleanor Jones Wife Married Female 45 1846 - Ruabon, Denbighshire, Wales
Owen K Jones Son Single Male 20 1871 Clerk Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Elizabeth Jones Daughter Single Female 18 1873 - Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Robert A Jones Son Single Male 14 1877 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Edith M Jones Daughter Single Female 13 1878 Scholar Bootle, Lancashire, England
Marion E Jones Daughter Single Female 11 1880 Scholar Bootle, Lancashire, England
Jane Eccles Servant Single Female 26 1865 Domestic servant Ruabon, Denbighshire, Wales
Elizabeth A Lewis Servant Single Female 21 1870 Domestic servant Liverpool, Lancashire, England

The family lived at Mount Pleasant Bibby's Lane in 1881 census

Willard Street was named after William Jones's grandson William Richard, he took the first and last bits of his name to come up with Willard Street.

Jan
Jan

This was William's house in Wales now a B&B

http://llwydiarth-fawr.co.uk/about.html

Jan