Quarrybank Nursing Home

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
annie

as i said i had my second child at the maternity home in balliol road and 4 years after was booked in to have my third and it had moved across stanley road to facing connolly house wher daniel house now stands. i dont think it was there very long
BOBHAMO

CRACKER PIC JAN ALMOST LOOKS THE SAME AS BOOTLE ART SCHOOL WHICH WAS NO 49 NEXT DOOR THEN STANLEY ROAD ,
BOBHAMO

THE HOUSE WAS LIVED IN FIRST BY GEORGE RANDALL .MANAGING DIRECTOR OF BOOTLE TANNING CO ,82 LITHERLAND ROAD BOOTLE 20 IN 1901 ,
annie

jan- this looks very much like the one where i had my daughter .
Jan

:lol:

Thanks Annie.

Bob,

George Randall was still there in 1911.

I have come to the conclusion that this maternity home was at one end of Balliol Road (Hugh Baird location) and Quarry Bank School was the other end of Balliol Road/Hawthorne Road.

I found this in the 1938 Directory Quarry Road Bootle, Balliol Senior Council School Boys & Girls.

Jan
Alan Quinn

motherhen wrote:Hi everyone

Does anyone know if Quarrybank Nursing Home still exists? I have several relatives who were born there between 1925-1935 and a great aunt who was the Matron of the home.

Any information about the home would be wonderful to get. I do not live locally so know nothing of the area but I am told it was situated in Bootle.

Many thanks

Diana
Hello Diane
Quarry Bank Nursing Home was, as somebody has stated on the South East corner of Hawthorne Rd and Balliol Rd
I attended Nursery school there in 1946 so I presume that it had then ceased as a "delivery depot" That's about all I know of it really. However I have a friend called Bobby Clark whose Mother worked there as a cleaner. He may have a bit more info. If you want I'll get in touch with him
Regards

Alan
Jayne Seymour

MY MUM & DAD HAD THERE WEDDING RECEPTION A FEW DOORS AWAY FROM BALLIOL ROAD MATERNITY HOSPITAL IN IONA HOUSE. I WAS BORN IN THAT MATERNITY HOSPITAL IN 1957. IT IS THE ONE IN THE OLD PHOTO SITUATED BETWEEN KINGS ROAD AND QUEENS ROAD.
patricia redmond

Jan wrote::D

Here is the pic of the Municipal Nursing Home 51 Balliol Road, no date, but does anyone recognise it?

Jan
Hi. Jan. My two sisters were born at 51 Balliol Road, in 1931 and 1932.I also have a god/son born there in 1948.
as I've said before my late husband L.J.Redmond was born at Quarry Bank N/H in 1927. It was corner of Hawthorn Rd, by the South Park. I always enjoy reading your researches. Pat.
vera

welcome Diane to the site. Jan and Bob.
Going back to 1954. i worked at British Enka Aintree shift work but only allowed to work four days one day a week had to go to further education classes. I went to Quarrybank Hollylodge Childwall Valley Rd.

The best part of the day was the lunch time music session a group of young fellas called the Quarrymen John Paul and Pete they would go wild.
hence the name. from the above address.

On my recent trip back to the uk can you imagine how pleased i was when my son asked me to go with him and my fourteen year old grand'daughter who is a drama student. who is part of the cast of Hollynook so along we went . to my surprise the studio was at Quarrybank. i was delighted to walk in the grounds once more.

My son could not believe i had been there fifty three years ago who said we live in a small world. cheers Vera :lol:
vfc
Jan

Hi everyone,

I was trying to find what corner of Balliol Rd/Hawthorne Road this Quarry Bank NH was, I went past there on Sunday and there is a residential home on one corner, a sort of Tudor style building, it is called Hawthorne Lodge 164-166 Hawthorne Road, I do believe that there was another building that was on the opposit corner in a similar style (it is a crossroads) so the other corner on Balliol Road side is the entrance to South Park.

There is a pic in one of Peter Woolley's books A Portrait in Old Piture Postcards showing Hawthorne Road (1912) looking towards Balliol Road and Trinity Church on the left in the background, Peter has written, Whatever happened to the splendid town house on the right? The building he is describing is a big tudor style house!

Then there is another pic Balliol Road, (1906) looking in the direction of Hawthorne Road, with University Road on the left, and the wall of the South Park on the right. There is a large house in the background, which later became Quarry Bank Primary School.

I did a bit more research and found in my 1911 and 1938 directories that at 166 Hawthorn Road was Alex Stewart McPhearson - Surgeon, he also had a surgery at 394 Stanley Road.

Jan
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

:lol:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that,

I have listed in the 1938 Directory, Quarry Road Bootle, Balliol Senior Council School boys & girls.

Jan
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyD

When I was a "mixed infant" at Quarry Bank, (about 1950---I remember drawing the Empress of Canada on our slates)--prior to being a "big girl" at Bedford Rd---I used to walk from Benedict St along Hawthorne Rd and cross over Hawthorne Rd at the park at the junction of Balliol Rd.

Dorothy
Anne Winter

patricia redmond wrote:

Here is the pic of the Municipal Nursing Home 51 Balliol Road, no date, but does anyone recognise it?

Jan
Hi. Jan. My two sisters were born at 51 Balliol Road, in 1931 and 1932.I also have a god/son born there in 1948.
as I've said before my late husband L.J.Redmond was born at Quarry Bank N/H in 1927. It was corner of Hawthorn Rd, by the South Park. I always enjoy reading your researches. Pat.
Great picture sure brings back memories of the birth of our second son at the time '1959' it was a private nursing home and the nurses there were the best and believe me when' i say this,' as out of 5 birthe's all in different hospitals in england and here in OZZ that was the one that sticks in my memorie as they stayed with me all the time .Anne Maloney/Winter
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
Peter W

The building shown on the previous post was The Nursing Home on the corner of Balliol Road and Stanley Road. It later became Bootle School of Art. I attended there on day release course and night school three times a week.

In my book, BOOTLE The Second Selection ) there is a photograph of the building in 1911 (page 34 ) showing the rear of the building. On page 35 there are a group of five Apprentice Painters and Decorators ( Including me) standing at the front of it.

It was demolished and part of the Hugh Baird College is now on the site.

I will not show the picture of the five apprentices on this forum as I have fallen foul of the cryptic comments in the past.
Allan Stoddern

I remember going there when at School. A number of us who were not bad at drawing, were sent there to draw the human form. I was only about 14 at this stage. We all sat down with our easels and pencils, when this young woman came in to the room. She took off her dressing gown and was completely naked. She sat down and posed for all those present.
I have to say, that at that age, I had never seen a woman without any clothes on before. There was a lot of sniggering going on between me and my mates. We were told in no uncertain terms to be quiet and get on with it. I think the drawing took a back seat on that occasion. But we were willing to go back for more lessons. Hey Happy days Allan
BOBHAMO

m
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter W

Hi! all,

I attended Bootle School of Art, Balliol Road, from 1954-59. I remember Tutor George Jones,(He only died a couple of years ago). Do not remember Herbert. We did have another tutor, a white haired, portly gentleman, cannot remember his name.

I remember George Wright, as a policeman, worked with him for many years. He still lives near Our Lady of Walsingham church Netherton.

No I won't put that picture up, but the guys on it are. Jim Kearny, Me!, Gordon Beattie, Jimmy Slack, George Copeland, Jim Mutch.
BOBHAMO

m,
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

:D

Hi,

This is relating to my previous post about a postcard of Hawthorne Road 1912, I mentioned about a big tudor style house, that Peter W mentioned in one of his postcard books, and looking through the gallery on here I came across the very picture from Peter's book.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/old ... stcard.htm

Jan
buchanan clan

Jan wrote::lol:

from 1957 it became known as Quarry bank annex and was used by education until 1987 and then demolished in 1988.

Jan
our family lived in sidney road which backed on to "the brick field" and have been there scince the may blitz.when talking to my parents they seem to think that the nursing home was actualy demolished in the early 70's.on the bricky there was the nursing home which was on the corner of balliol road and hawthorn road.between the houses and the nuring home on hawthorne road was morton dairys.then if you went up balliol towards the mons and went towards the houses of sidney there was the old cook house,just off cambridge road.this now is cambridge road nursery which was erected in 1973.this was meant to be a prefab for a couple of years but has only just this year been demolished and rebuilt as a nursery/drop in center.then as you walked along cambridge road towards the school ther was a foot path which seperated the field and the school.
rjkellet

hi all, came from the cotswolds in oxford to this school , was about 1949 , was a country kid, so was staggered to find lots of kids on the same planet as me ,my life revolved around mum n dad , n a brother .in the middle of nowhere , ended up in bedford rd, miss shaw , miss fleetwood etc , we were taught knitting n embroidery ,all the things supposed to equip us girls for mrs beetons , cook book etc , in balliol school ,a lot older , i won the school prize for sewing , maybe something to do with the fact ,my dad was a tailor ,my point is we were sent over from balliol girls to quarrybank for our sewing lessons , lovely house ,polished floors ,i was 6yrs old when i first went to quarrybank ,i forgot a lot of those days ,but this post brought back a lot of memories , thank you all very much for your posts n photos ,got a few grand kids who want to know all about grannies past , regards jan
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
motherhen

Dear Everyone

Today when I looked at my original post I could not believe so much discussion had been going on!

Thank you very much for all your help and information. I hope to get down next year to have a look at the area myself.

Happy New Year & best wishes

Diana
LadyD

If the "Elf and Safety people" had been around when I was at Quarry Bank Infants---I think they would have closed it down.

We had big pot bellied stoves in the rooms for heating. I can remember when our milk was delivered, it was often frozen, so teacher would put it close to the stove.
I suppose I must have learned to read there---there were pctures of all the letters on the walls around the room.
I can't remember where we "played out" at recess.

Dorothy

There was a patch of waste land next to it and I don't remember anything behind.
motherhen

Hi LadyD

When I was at primary school in the 60's I also remember having our little bottles of milk put in front of the coal fire in our class room. I used to love having warm milk at break time. Pity I am now allergic to dairy products but I have fond memories of those bottles of milk! Ha! Ha!

Our school was a big old property situated in a huge walled garden with a small forrest of trees which was great fun to run about in at playtime. It is now a block of modern flats!

Diana
LadyD

Between Sidney Rd and Balliol Rd in

120 Hawthorne Rd Robert Hallam Lister Bookeeper

122 Charles Wm Carnegie Chief Engineer

124 William Bruce Thompson Pilot

126 & 128 Charles Wells JP Quarry Owner

126 John Milne Clerk

148 Earl of Derby Estate Offices Harry Pennington Agent

162 Rev Stanley Rogers

164 John Cothliff Slater

166 Alex McPherson Surgeon

212 Patrick Collins Manager "The Nest"

So, was Quarry Bank Infants after the Nest?? Was that why I seem to remeber the waste ground nearby---pub knocked down???

Dorothy
whacker66

sorry to open an old post ..but totally confused. I was born in Balliol rd maternity home, I know because every time i passed it with me mam she told me "you was born in there" and my sister used to walk down from mill lane with my g/dad and mam would be at the window and wave with me in her arms ( iknow i was ther :lol: ) but when I got the receipt for my arrival...it has a few alterations and Northgate nursing home on it...
So where these homes joined or did they transfer new mothers to Merton road after...or where they just short of invoices after the war?
Would have been easier if i was launched from Harlands
Peter
ron waters

You are right there wacker it was a right mix up , I do remember that Beech Lawn Nursing Home in Waterloo was owned by the same people as Northgate because my mother was a cleaner in Merton Road and later on was given a Free Transfer to Beech Lawn .
Ron
whacker66

thanks Ron that helps solve it a bit
Peter
Anne Winter

[quote="Jan"]:D

Hi,

This is relating to my previous post about a postcard of Hawthorne Road 1912, I mentioned about a big tudor style house, that Peter W mentioned in one of his postcard books, and looking through the gallery on here I came across the very picture from Peter's book.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/old ... tle2/pages

Hi can any one tell me if the' tudor house' in that photo is number '59' if it is it was the house my husband grand parents lived in, as the address on his parent marriage cert, we seem to remember it was called ''The Vineries''any one know if it is the same house. or were The Vineries was ????????
many thank Anne
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
BOBHAMO

HI ANN SORRY BUT THE POST I HAVE PUT IN ON HAWTHORNE ROAD THE URL WOULD NOT STAY ON I WILL COPY OUT ALL ADRESSES FROM 1900 BOBHAMO
Anne Winter

Anne Winter wrote:

Hi,

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/old ... tle2/pages

Hi can any one tell me if the' tudor house' in that photo is number '59' if it is it was the house my husband grand parents lived in, as the address on his parent marriage cert, we seem to remember it was called ''The Vineries''any one know if it is the same house. or were The Vineries was ????????
many thank Anne
Hi again sorry about this mix up but the house i was talking about was ''59 Merton rd ''and not Hawthorn rd i can remember it was a big house ,and his grand parents were'' James and Alice Winter'.' Alice had business on 'Stanly rd' and 'Walton rd' her name was 'Alice Burns ' and the business in walton was under the name of 'Alice burns' .
I have heard that at one time she sold cloths from a 'hand cart' but dont know if that is true {if so would she have to of had a licence of some sort}this is going back to early 1900 .
any help any way i would be greatfull . Anne .
LadyD

Hi Anne

James Winter m Alice W Burns 1908 West Derby Register office (Might be a RD marriage?)

Have found 3 children

Margaret J 1912
Donald 1915
Mary 1920

There is a birth of an Alice Winifred Burns March quarter 1889 West Derby

In 1911 Directory

Mrs Alice Winter 37 Furness Sr Kirkdale???

1938 Directory

Mrs Alice Winter Ladies Outfitter 420 Stanley Rd Kirkdale Residence 59 Merton Rd

Dorothy
Born Benedict St, Moved to Ford.Married lived Breeze Hill then Formby
Now in Florida after living all over the world.
matt wethered

And I know 59 merton road because it was just about opposite my grannies house at 66 merton road.Huge place as where nearly all the houses in that road.Simon Mahon lived very near.
Matt