Quarrybank Nursing Home

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Anne Winter

LadyD wrote:Hi Anne

James Winter m Alice W Burns 1908 West Derby Register office (Might be a RD marriage?)

Have found 3 children

Margaret J 1912
Donald 1915
Mary 1920

There is a birth of an Alice Winifred Burns March quarter 1889 West Derby

In 1911 Directory

Mrs Alice Winter 37 Furness Sr Kirkdale???

1938 Directory

Mrs Alice Winter Ladies Outfitter 420 Stanley Rd Kirkdale Residence 59 Merton Rd

Dorothy

thank you for that there was more children the oldest was James who was my husbands father ,Joan ,and Ronnie these girls married
and went to live in'' Canada'' and' N Z '.and and an other girl Rita who died in her teens .
Thank you for looking them up. Anne
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
Dollydaydream

I was born in 1924 in a maternity home at 162 Hawthorne Road,Bootle.
I was told by my grandmother it was Balliol Rd home but obviously it wasn't in Balliol Rd,could this have been Quarry Bank.?
I havn't found 162 Hawthorne Rd in the 1938 street directory though.I would love to know what the name ofthe Home was.
ron waters

HELLO DOLLY You say you were born in 1924, you are nearly as old as OLD MATT in Vancouver and also PC 49, OLD PETER WOOLLEY
young JAN will most probably help with your enquiry.
ttfn from Ron
Dollydaydream

Yes,Ron,I'm one of the ancient silver surfers and although I wasn't born in Bootle but in Walton and went to Walton Church school at the other end of Bedford Rd,I've found a lot of interesting stuff on the bootlehistory site.
My cousin in New Zealand was also born in 162 Hawthorne Rd,it must have been a nursing home as both of us lived in Walton and both were told it was Balliol,so I hope someone will know what this home was called.
I really would like to know.
patricia redmond

Hi to the members looking for details on Quarry Bank Nursing Home.my late husband Lawrence John Redmond, was born at Quarry Bank NH. in July 1927. I have his birth certificate which reads:
20th July 1927, 162 Hawthorne Road, The Home was known to my In Laws as Quarry Bank NH.
It was situated on Hawthorne Road on the corner of Balliol Rd, Bootle, opposite South Park. The Tudor House on the other corner in 1952/3 was named West Winds and was orned by a Mr Thomas Collins. from Pat.
Dollydaydream

Thanks Patricia for clearing up the mystery of Quarrybank Nursing Home,both I and my cousin have that address on our birth certificates and I'm pleased to have the correct name for where we were born.
I'm in Gloucestershire now but still have a nostalgia for the place I grew up in.
hilary

patricia redmond wrote:Hi to the members looking for details on Quarry Bank Nursing Home.my late husband Lawrence John Redmond, was born at Quarry Bank NH. in July 1927. I have his birth certificate which reads:
20th July 1927, 162 Hawthorne Road, The Home was known to my In Laws as Quarry Bank NH.
It was situated on Hawthorne Road on the corner of Balliol Rd, Bootle, opposite South Park. The Tudor House on the other corner in 1952/3 was named West Winds and was orned by a Mr Thomas Collins. from Pat.
I've just joined the forum because I am so pleased to discover where Quarry Bank NH was - my mother was born there on 8th July 1927! Mum and I have just located the site on Flash Earth. Thanks everybody!

Hilary, daughter of Barbara Salthouse
ron waters

WELCOME to our friendly site Hilary , its a pity you live in Manchester
but never mind we wish you a very Happy Christmas and look forward to your posts .
From Ron
hilary

Thankyou, Ron, for your welcome. I worked in Liverpool for a few years in the 70s, love the city very much (was in St Pauls Eye Hospital in teh 50s). I still visit whenever I can.

Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2009
Hilary
Eddy Lloyd

Welcome to the site Hilary, It's not your fault you live in Manchester :D :D But you have good roots xxxx
motherhen

patricia redmond wrote:Hi to the members looking for details on Quarry Bank Nursing Home.my late husband Lawrence John Redmond, was born at Quarry Bank NH. in July 1927. I have his birth certificate which reads:
Hi Everyone

I have not been on this site for a while and I was amazed to discover so may people were interested in Quarrybank Nursing Home!

Thank you Patricia for the address of the home. I know my mother was born there but don't actually have her birth certificate. At long last we are coming down to Liverpool to visit all the areas to do with my mother's family.

Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to find out if there is any information/records about Quarrybank Nursing Home? Would it be the Wirral Archives or Liverpool Record Office? As I have said before my great aunt was the matron there in the 1920's and I understand she was given money by the Italian Royal family (who she had previously worked for) to set the Home up.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Diana
BOBHAMO

hi motherhen here is a list of public records of hospitalshttp://www.mersey-gateway.org/server.ph ... terId=1011
motherhen

Hi BOBHAMO

Thank you for that link- unfortunately Quarrybank is not mentioned but they might be able to point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Diana
Jan

:D

Hi Diane,

I am not sure where all records are kept for Bootle hospitals/nursing homes etc, but the Wellcome foundation hold some records, it may be worth contacting them, I don't think Liverpool Records Office have anything there, or even Crosby Library.

http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/

Jan
motherhen

Hi Jan

Thank you for your information. I shall try the Wellcome Foundation. I have just (two minutes ago!) made contact with a relative who stays in the area and he seems to have some information on Quarrybank through family connections. I am so excited! I am really looking forward to coming down to the area.

Thank you everyone again for helping me

Kind regards

Diana
tgibbon

Patricia Simpson wrote:Jan, your photos looks like Connelly house. It was once only for the blind, I done voluntary work from the St John Ambulance there in the 1953/4.

One of my younger sisters baby was the first baby to be born at the Balliol maternity home, she had photo taken with the mayor of Bootle presenting her with a gift in the early/mid 1960s. Pat
Hi Patricia, I was in the St. Johns as a cadet in 1954 and so was my mother Joan Gibbon. I lived in Balliol Road and was born there at no. 51. I remember Connelly house well

Tony.gibbon@gmail.com
Born and lived in Balliol Road
maureenbrown

I was born in Balliol Road Nursing Home, in 1948, and my brother, in 1947.
My mother saved up to have her babies there.It was pre the NHS.
When I was older, I remember seeing the mothers with their new babies,wrapped in white shalls and little bonnets, getting the 58 or 59 bus home, from the corner of Stanley / Balliol Road bus stop.
Coffeypot
Bill fawcett

Hi Jan
This was indeed the maternity hospital. My daughter was born there in 1964, and my youngest son was born in the new Trinity Rd annex in 1972.

Cheers. Bill
Bill fawcett

Sorry about my last posting,I was looking at a photo Jan put on in 2007

Bill
BOBHAMO

Peter Woolly had this photo in one of his books as no51
this is no 49 balliol road the art school this was a detached
house the maternity was a pair of semis shown on the right
having attended and painted the house this is a common mistake
i worked on the maternity buildings when it closed it was used by the tec
though its over 50 years ago and on my earlie post i thought it was no 51
looking on older maps it clearly shows how the houses looked
sorry if this takes the magic of your memories
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Connolly House, Balliol Road. (c 2005), enlarged and logo removed.

Jan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 pm :(

Very sad. I took them about 2 years ago.

Jan
Dan

49 Balliol Road, enlarged and logo removed.
BOBHAMO wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Peter Woolly had this photo in one of his books as no51
this is no 49 balliol road the art school this was a detached
house the maternity was a pair of semis shown on the right
having attended and painted the house this is a common mistake
i worked on the maternity buildings when it closed it was used by the tec
though its over 50 years ago and on my earlie post i thought it was no 51
looking on older maps it clearly shows how the houses looked
sorry if this takes the magic of your memories
bobhamo