Quarrybank Nursing Home

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
motherhen

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if Quarrybank Nursing Home still exists? I have several relatives who were born there between 1925-1935 and a great aunt who was the Matron of the home.

Any information about the home would be wonderful to get. I do not live locally so know nothing of the area but I am told it was situated in Bootle.

Many thanks

Diana
Jan

:D

Hi Diana, welcome to the site.

I can't find any reference to Quarry Bank Nursing Home, in the 1938 Directory, but there was a maternity home in Balliol Road Bootle.

51 Balliol Road, Municipal Maternity Home. Miss Mary Winifred Cleary Matron.

What was your great Aunt's name?

Jan
motherhen

Hi jan

I am sorry I did not get back to you last night but my validation email took a while to get through.

My mother was born in Quarrybank Nursing Home in 1925 and her Aunt Connie Nicholson was the Matron of the Home.I also have relatives' births in 1928 and 1934 so 1938 might be a bit late. Unfortunately that is all the information I have as the family moved to London and they only came back for the children's births because Aunt Connie was the Matron.

Thank you very much for looking anyway for me. One of these days I shall get down and do some proper research of the area.

Diana
Jan

Hi Diana,

There is a nursing home in Balliol Road, I don't know the history of it, but I will go and have a look at it.

http://www.accessplace.com/nursing-home ... bootle.htm

I worked in one in Merton Road, but that used to be the home of our Welsh Builder/Mayor of Bootle William Jones in the early 1900's.

Jan
Jan

:D :D

There is a photo of the nursing home in Liverpool Records Office.

RefNo 352 ENG/2/6796
Title Clinic Exterior
Date n.d.
Description A photograph of the front elevation of Liverpool Municipal Maternity Home, also known as Quarry Bank. The home opened in early 1920 and contained accomadation for 18 maternity cases and a 2 bed labour ward. The home closed on 1st April 1934 when responsibility for Maternity and Child Welfare in Liverpool was transferred from the Health Committee to the Port Sanitary and Hospitals Committee.
Extent 1 photograph

Jan
ron waters

JAN When we lived in Park Street many years ago my mother was a cleaner in the NORTHGATE NURSING HOME in Merton Road on the left hand of the road , near to Litherland Road .
RON
Jan

:lol:

Hi Ron,

It is Abbegale Lodge now.

Little did I know the history behind number 9 Merton when I worked there, that was before I was doing Bootle history of course.

Jan
motherhen

Hi Jan

Thank you so much for that information . I really do appreciate your time and effort looking that up for me as I live in Fife in Scotland. That is great to know there is a photo of Quarrybank. I shall also look at that website too. My grandmother's family were from Southport/Birkenhead/Wallasey area which I think is across the water from Liverpool. I must get down to Liverpool Records office as I have various bits and bobs to do there.

Many thanks again

Kind regards

Diana
Jan

Hi Diana,

I am due a visit to the records office shortly, I will put that on my list of look-ups and get a copy of it. I will e-mail them first though to see if they still have it, sometimes these things go missing, I tried to get a photo of a pub that they held that my gg uncle used to run, but they couldn't find it, but I eventually found the pic in a book (A pub on Every Corner).

Jan
patricia redmond

Hi. Jan & Diana. I don't know if the following details are any use to you, but here goes. My late husband Lawrence John Redmond was born at Quarry Bank N/H. on the 20th July 1927, his mother's name was Agnes O'Hagan.I think the place was situated at the corner of Balliol Road / Hawthorne Road, Bootle.
Welcome to the site Diana. it is better than GREAT. from Pat.
annie

i had my second baby at balliol road maternity home in 1964 is this the same place
Jan

Did it become Connolly House?

I have pictures of it being demolished if it was, and I think Mack has a picture of it in all it's glory.

Jan
Jan

:(

Very sad. I took them about 2 years ago.

Jan
annie

no i dont think so jan --i think it was on the other side of stanley road where the college is now. connelly house was ibdeed a lovely place- i used to go to visit my mother- in- law there
Jan

:(

So what was the building in my pictures?

Jan
BOBHAMO

northgate nurseing home was at 27 merton road as ron said on left hand side . jan tried to get that pic of liverpool records but that one cant find there is other pics of baby clinics and one of exterior of clinic . the pics you put up i am sure are connelly house which was bootle corporation blind hostel painted it a few times when it was nurseing home ,
Jan

Thanks Bob,

I think the building used to be where Hugh Baird College now stands, the Quarry Bank Nursing home was demolished in 1988, thanks to info from a good friend of mine. My friend e-mailed Crosby Library who gave her the information.

Jan
BOBHAMO

cheers jan like to watch a a genius finding info , keep up the good work .
Patricia Simpson

Jan, your photos looks like Connelly house. It was once only for the blind, I done voluntary work from the St John Ambulance there in the 1953/4.

One of my younger sisters baby was the first baby to be born at the Balliol maternity home, she had photo taken with the mayor of Bootle presenting her with a gift in the early/mid 1960s. Pat
BOBHAMO

JUST FOUND BOOTLE MATERNITY HOME 51 BALLIOL ROAD NEXT TO BOOTLE SCHOOL OF ART WHICH I ATTENDED AS JAN SAID UNDER NEW COLLEGE .
ron waters

Those pictures of the demolished house I think is Connelly House which at one time was a home for the blind , Jan it is nt were Hugh Baird stands
it was on the opposite corner , behind the home was the South Park .
RON
ron waters

DIANA Welcome to this very friendly site , there a lot of lovely down to earth people on here , so enjoy yourself .
RON
LadyD

Quarry Bank was a big old house on the corner of Hawthorne Rd and Balliol Rd.
It must have become a school as I went there when I was a "mixed infant" in the late 40s.
I had done a bit of research on it for another thread on this list when we were talking about Bootle Quarry??? I think we were talking about the Girls Grammar School??
---and the Brick Fields.
Dorothy

Do you remember the rhyme about the Brick Fields??

There was a little man
He had a little gun
Off to the brick fields he would run
With a belly full of fat
And a big straw hat
And a pancake tied to his bum bum bum!!!!

Isn't it amazing the silly stuff you can remember---can't remember what I had for dinner though!!!
Ewen

Hi lady D,
You are right about Quarry Bank being on the corner of Hawthorne and Balliol Road. I also went there in the early 40,s before going on to Bedford Road School. Cheers Ewen
Macker
ron waters

Ewen Dorothy mentioned Quarry Bank was for mixed up infants , is that why you are STILL MIXED UP .
Cheers RON
Ewen

Hi Old Fella, Didn't take you long to post a reply, adding words on again, been mixed up since I got married. Cheers Ewen
Macker
Jan

:lol:

Thanks for all the info folks, I thought it was on the site of where Hugh Baird College is now.

I may have put the wrong info on earlier about what Crosby Library told my friend.

This is what they said.

from 1957 it became known as Quarry bank annex and was used by education until 1987 and then demolished in 1988.

Jan
Jan

What made me think that the Nursing Home was on the site of the Hugh Baird College is the way the numbers in the 1938 Directory go.

This is how it is in the directory.

BALLIOL ROAD BOOTLE

Breeze Hill
Left side

Hawthorne Road
South Recreation Ground

47 Balliol Rd Bootle Liberal Social Club.
Stanley Road
49 Balliol Rd Bootle Art Centre
51 Balliol Municipal Maternity Home
then numbers 53-65
Queens Road
67 Balliol Road, Balliol Masonic Hall.

The Masonic Hall was demolished a couple of months ago.

Jan
matt wethered

And next door to Connelly house was Emmanuel Church.The back garden of the caretaker of the church was side by side with the building of Connelly house,fella by the name of Jackson,had a daughter called Jillian and a son called John.
Matt
motherhen

Hi Everyone

I am so sorry I did not reply to all your posts yesterday but I got surprise visitors yesterday and could not get near the computer until this morning.

Many many thanks to everyone, especially Jan who did so much searching for me. It was very kind of you. You are such a lovely friendly crowd. I am also a member of Scotslandsfamilytree forum and they are the very same.

I have read through all your posts and it will take me a while to take it in but what I gather is the case is that Quarrybank Home became Quarrybank School which I think John Lennon attended ( so someone told me) and it was demolished in 1988. I am sorry there are no photos as I was looking for one for my uncles but never mind.

Thank you everyone again for your welcome and your help.

Diana
BOBHAMO

hi mother hen the school john lennon went to is in another part of liverpool calderstones, then quarry bank.Image
motherhen

Hi BOBHAMO

Thank you for setting me right re. John Lennon's school. When you don't know the area it gets a bit confusing. I'm not sure if I have picked it up right but it sounds like there are no pictures of Quarrybank as a nursing home and it may have become a school? Does this sound right?

Diana
BOBHAMO

YES LOOKS LIKE LATER SCHOOL ,
Jan

Hi Diana,

I have been to Liverpool Records Office this afternoon and I could not find a reference to Quarry Bank nursing home, only the Municipal Maternity Home in Balliol Road, I looked in 1925 Directory and the matron was the same Mary Winifred Cleary, also still there in 1934 and in my 1938 directory. I managed to get a copy of the picture I mentioned, but only a photo copy, I will have to get my better half to scan it in for me then put it on here.

Now in the 1960 Directory at 51 Balliol Road was Bootle Maternity Home.

Quarry Bank- The school John Lennon went to was in Calderstones (Mossley Hill) Liverpool. (I had friends that went there).

Have a look on this website for Liverpool Schools.

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/index.html

Jan
Jan

Here is the pic of the Municipal Nursing Home 51 Balliol Road, no date, but does anyone recognise it?

Jan