What part of Bootle did you live?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Hi everyone,
I was born Hector Street, Kirkdale (just a stone's throw from Bootle boundry) that area has since been demolished and rebuilt. Then I lived lower Bedford Road for part of WW2. Then lived for short while University Road near Trinity Road before moving to Turner Avenue (near Bailey Drive) houses there also demolished now. We lived there until about 1958 then moved to Harris Drive, across road from St Robert Bellarmines church.
I have lived New Zealand since early 1960s.

Which part of Bootle did/do you live?
sheila

hi

I lived in Eliot St next to the gainy until 1970 and then moved to Lunar Drive in netherton by Netherton village, and in 2002 I moved to Warrington. My Mum and Dad lived in Eliot st before the war and after the house was bombed they went to live in crosby until after the war so my early days were spent in crosby. I went to st james junior girls and won a scholarship to seafield.

sheila
Mack
Site Admin

I was born 1965 in Walton Hozzy.
Grew up in Croxteth Rd ( right next to Johnsons the Cleaners Factory on Linacre Rd ).
Went to St Elizabeths Primary School ( Litherland Rd ).
Then onto the big school St Wilfrids ( Hawthorne Rd ).
We then moved to Bailey Drive in 1978.
Left home in 1986.
Moved to Hertford Rd ( part of Bootle now undergoing major redevelopment ).
Left there in 1996 + now living back where I first started life which is the Linacre Rd region of Bootle.

Mack
henry

used to live in Florida Street which was off the old STRAND ROAD which was the hub of Bootle those days which was a lot better than the plastic shopping centre they have now
peter davenport

From the maternity hospital my first address was in Spencer Street off Marsh Lane. When I came home from being evacuated during the war we lived in Antonio Street, not far from the Danish Bacon Factory. Then we moved to Strand Road Fire Station and when they were being kocked down in the early 5o's we moved to Thackeray Gardens, near Robert Bellamines (I probably delivered your papers Betty). When I got married in 1962 we lived for a short while in Park Street before moving to Liverpool. I am now on the Wirral.

Peter
n3ttl3

I was born in Walton hozzy in 1955, first 18 months in Carolina Street, then up to Masefield Crescen (by the Mount), got married and moved to Fazakerley, then moved back to Wheatley Avenue. Moved down here in 1988 :(
Jan

:D

I am a newie to Bootle, been living here 4 years, was born in Toxteth, then moved to Sefton Park when I was 4, then lived various places within Liverpool, lived in Leicester for 10 years, then North Wales for 7 years, then here in Bootle.

I don't know where I will end up when my house will be demolished!

anyone got a tent? :lol:

Jan
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

I was born in the ded posh part of Bootle:-))...In Fernhill Road opposite the old fever hospital (then St Monica's). My mum & dad moved there about 1934, it was new then. Prior to that they lived in a railway cottage down Derby Road way...I think they did. I do wish I had documented all of her memories before she died. I read about Vera Bray and playing the piano in the Odva, which was three minutes from our house. My mum used to talk about Vera...I am not sure whether they knew each other but I know I got teary eyed when I first joined this list and saw Vera's name..I wished my mum was here to tell her...:-) sheila.g
PS. In 1970 mum moved to Harrops Croft, Netherton, or is it Sefton.?

I was born in the ded posh part of Bootle:-)).
Believe it or not when we moved (1944) to Turner Avenue that was 'ded posh' too - it had trees lining the Avenue and we all had nice gardens. Went back in the 70s for a nostalgic visit and boy did I get a shock :shock: it was really run down the gardens were all overgrown, trees uprooted, fences in awful state and front doors were burnt or boarded up :cry: But I've still got my memories :)
Sheila Graham

Betty wrote:
I was born in the ded posh part of Bootle:-)).
Believe it or not when we moved (1944) to Turner Avenue that was 'ded posh' too - it had trees lining the Avenue and we all had nice gardens. Went back in the 70s for a nostalgic visit and boy did I get a shock :shock: it was really run down the gardens were all overgrown, trees uprooted, fences in awful state and front doors were burnt or boarded up :cry: But I've still got my memories :)
-----
Betty, I was being 'funny' when I wrote 'ded posh'...I always refer to the Derby Road end of Fernhill road as the 'better' part of Fernhill....But..where I grew up..it was the best place in the world, I didn't want to be anywhere else. We had the best lamp posts for swinging around, we had the best neighbours that cared for and disciplined us, and we had the best and safest street (Ainsdale Road) for playing rounders, hide and seek, and just hanging around under the lamppost sitting on Mr Banks garden wall and chatting. Sadly like you I found out that my Shangrala no longer exsists. I met a bloke on the net 8 years ago (apparantly I nursed him in Bootle Hospital) and he told me that he moved out of Ainsdale Road after living there for only a short while, because of the vandalism and the drugs...I was so sad to hear that. I walked down Ainsdale Road in Jan/2000. The lampposts where gone, there were lots of cars..I wondered, 'how do the children play in this street?'...the answer was, 'they don't'. sheila.g
henry

Sheila ,We still go to the ODVA and it is a smashing little club as it is now full every week as the Parkside which was formally harlland and wolfes club which was on Hawthone Road facing the old vernons factory has closed down and all there members now go to the ODVA and as there are now not many social clubs still going where you still get entertainment
Sheila Graham

henry wrote:Sheila ,We still go to the ODVA and it is a smashing little club as it is now full every week as the Parkside which was formally harlland and wolfes club which was on Hawthone Road facing the old vernons factory has closed down and all there members now go to the ODVA and as there are now not many social clubs still going where you still get entertainment
-----
Henry, My dad and his brother Danny were members from when it first opened...consequently my mum and Auntie Ivy hated the place..LOL.
A friend of ours, like another brother to me, Dougie Stoddern used to sing in the ODVA sometimes. Sadly he died about 15years ago in his very early 50s....sheila.g
Pat Berry

I lived in Woodley Road Maghull from 1938 to 1958. Then lived in Monk Street Everton until I married in 1959. After I married I lived in Arvon Street Orrell Bootle until 1965 when we emigrated to Wollongong Australia. Still in touch with people from each of the places where I have lived. Pat
Pat Berry
tracey

I was born on the floor of 59 VIOLA STREET,(my nannas house MARY RALSTON, , then my nan had it MAGGIE SHELLY) lived there for about 3 years moved to the Old Roan and now live in Netherton, I used to love Viola, we would all meet at my nan's of a saturday, the fella's would be in the Swifts, my mum, nan and my aunties all chatting, peawack soup, winkles, out side loo, dont arf miss it.

tracey
Last edited by tracey on Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenys

Morning all,
I was born Merton Road, but lived Linacre Lane, then went to Wales for a few years, returned to live in a prefab in Trinity Road, then to Knowsley Road by the North Park,until 1955 when we moved to Formby.
:) :)
Dot

Hiya Sheila.

I was born in Spence Avenue and I used to play on the site of the ODVA before it was built, that would be about 1947'ish my dad was a founder member of the club, did any of you go to the childrens party at christmas time? Shelia, did you know my sister Elva? your name strikes a bell.

Dot
henry

QUASSIMODO THAT NAME RINGS A BELL TOO
Ar Kid

My bro. -in- law and his wife spent a lot of time in the ODVA,Steve and Mary Jones was the name, he was with the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board and moved to Canada in the 50s,sadly,they are no longer alive. Best regards. Peter.
tracey

Hi my dad and his brothers were brought up in Spence Ave frank stan and brian Atkinson

tracey
Dot

Knew them all Tracey, your nan used to take my mum to the Day Care centre in Linacre Lane and put her bets on for her, this was in the 60's, great lady and smashing neighbour.

Dot
Pamsy

from Walton hospital in 1946 I came to Clemmey Drive by the Crescent area with a cobbled stone street then on to Masefield Crescent in what we called Netherton but was actually Bootle and went to Robert's school on Pennington Avenue....some of my school friends left this planet early and are buried in Bootle cemetary....my nin lived off Turner Avenue ....yes, the area used to be lovely with very smart landscaping, not sure how it looks today....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
RonKing

I was born in my grandma's house which was on Fernhill Rd, right next to the railway. Gran worked in the soft drink place there and used to bring home a crate of Club Orange or Lemon every week. It was a lot better than anything we could afford. We lived in Menai Rd until I was 11 then in Thackeray Gdns. That would have been about 1958 until I got married in 1971. Saw that a two bedroom flat in Thackeray is up for sale at 90,000 pounds. We used to pay 10 bob a week rent. I was back there four years ago and not much has changed apart from the wall to wall cars and some of the hideous colour schemes that people have painted thier homes.
Ron
Pamsy

Hi Ron, I remember Thackery Gardens, it wasn't far from Masefield Crescent and used to pass it each day on way to school....I had a cousin who lived there, even kids from school.....did you take a pic of the place when you were last home?
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Glenys

Pamsy,
I went to school with a girl called Hazel Murphy who lived in Masefield Crescent! :)
Pamsy

went to school with a girl called Hazel Murphy who lived in Masefield Crescent<<<

well there were a lot of Murphy's and still is, quite a common name...on Galsworthy avenue lived Murphy and also our street...Pauline went to school with my sister and probably Hazel was her sister....not sure...but yes there were Murphys on our street
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
n3ttl3

Hi Pam

What number Masefield did you live in? My Mum still lives there!

Annette
Pamsy

What number Masefield did you live in? My Mum still lives there!

does she know a SANDYS as they still live opposite were we lived

MORRIS used to live next door to us
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
n3ttl3

:shock:

Pam, is (was) your surname Stevens????????????????? I lived (Mum stilll lives) in number 35. Mr & Mrs Sandys are still there too!

Annette
Pamsy

Pam, is (was) your surname Stevens????????????????? I lived (Mum stilll lives) in number 35. Mr & Mrs Sandys are still there too!

What's your mum's last name? Did she move in to STELLINGS house? I mean, does she live next door to SANDYS? if so, one of her daughter's married Robert West and I used to have a large crush on him as a kid...ha...small world, ay?

I lived across from SANDYS and my maiden was KEEGAN....next to me was MORRIS and HUGHES and then WILLACEY on corner but they moved to Winnipeg and can't remember last name of family that moved in there. We lived in 39....so your mum was close...we left the street for USA in 1958....but I came back on my own to go to Skerry's college later on and lived off Bailey Drive with my nan....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
n3ttl3

Hi Pam, we're on 'crossed threads'. We moved into the end house No 35(Owen's house separated yours and ours) in 1957, I was 18 months old, My maiden name is CAREY. Is your mum's maiden name Riggs?

Annette
Pamsy

I was 18 months old, My maiden name is CAREY. Is your mum's maiden name Riggs?

Ah yes, now I totally remember.....I liked your mum, nice lady....and now I know your name....yes Jackie is your older sister and how is she doing? I hope life treated her well so far....yes mum is Grace Riggs Keegan...her and dad worked over the field..she at English Electric and he at Napiers...my mum is 89 today but looks like she's early 70's with no big health issues at all....I drag her with me all over the place...dad died unexpectedly in his sleep in 1993 on vacation in Florida...never sick so it was a shock to us....

Dad did belong to a dart team...not sure which one though...
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
arthur8

glad to hear that the odva is still there that was where my dad took me when i was able to drink.i don't know if any of you old people from bootle would remember my dad he was a well known boxer they called him little jackie molloy tho his real name was arthur.
arthur8

i am glad my brother inlaw put me on to this site,its great to hear about the old clubs and steeets and people like vera bray,names from the past.pam i live in dapto which is only a stone throw from wollong.
Sheila Graham

Dot wrote:Hiya Sheila.

I was born in Spence Avenue and I used to play on the site of the ODVA before it was built, that would be about 1947'ish my dad was a founder member of the club, did any of you go to the childrens party at christmas time? Shelia, did you know my sister Elva? your name strikes a bell.

Dot
----
Hiya Dot....I'm a bit late in answering this. I can't remember where Spence Avenue is. I don't recall going to the ODVA Christmas parties but I could have done....I thought the ODVA was built before 1947, my dad died in 1948, and he and uncle Danny were first members. I recall my mum telling me about the time she went over there to get my dad out...and the fellah on the door ? Matt Walsh told mum he wasn't in there and closed the door...So mum got a pile of bricks off the rubble from the building off the place and spoke to Matt again, pointing to the bricks and telling him that she wouldn't hestitate to throw them through the windows if Dad didn't come out...LOL. Dad did come out...how embarrassing.:-))
You didn't tell me your surname...I don't recall an Elva. sheila.g
red ron

Hi Henry, I had a good mate who used to live in Florida Street in the '50s.
His name was Stan Davies. His mother used to run a fruit and veg cart in Great Homer Street market. I think he lived in number 1. I last met him in the 80s and I heard he died shortly after.
Regards, Ron