PETER LUNTS SOAP WORKS

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
red ron

Does anyone have an idea of the year Peter Lunts closed down, in Lunt Avenue in Netherton, please ? R R
frank delamere

ron, just after you bought your last piece of soap
frank
Jan

:D

Hi Ron,

I know it was listed in the 1938 Directory at Park Lane Aintree.

My neighbour Mo worked at the one in Lunt Avenue, I will ask her again about it.

Jan
red ron

I say Frank, I would LATHER you didn't BUBBLE me. It would all come out in the WASH anyway. I think you are trying to SOFT SOAP your way into OLD RON W's good books. R R
frank delamere

AH! RON, HE WOULD NEED CARBOLIC SOAP, EVEN THE MIGHT NOT WORK
FRANK
ron waters

RON as I told you last night Anne and her sister Maud worked at PETER LUNTS many years ago , they also made Candles, and the big chimney had the word MOVIE in great big letters written on it , Movie was a hand cleaner , a bit like Swarfega , I think the factory has probably been closed over 20 years RON W
red ron

Thanks OLD CHUM, i have just had a PM from an anonymous admirer who also thinks that Lunts closed in the eighties. Unfortunately, I was just starting school about then. R R
ron waters

RON Was nt that NIGHT SCHOOL and you were TEACHING KNITTING
SteveNsno

Wrong thread , sorry, i'll find the exact date of Lunt's demise tomorrow.
" You Feed Beefburgers To Swans ! "
bootlebuck

red ron wrote:Thanks OLD CHUM, i have just had a PM from an anonymous admirer who also thinks that Lunts closed in the eighties. Unfortunately, I was just starting school about then. R R

Hey RR was that the 1880s :twisted:
steuart
red ron

Now Steuart, you are thinking of the wrong Ron. This is the Ron who was buying everybodies ale all night at the YM, and I put some over the bar in case I can't attend the next two meet-ups. I think you mean Tweedledum Waters. Hope you are well Steuart. x R R
ron waters

STEUART The only ale that CLUMSY OLD RED RON put over the bar was my pint that he knocked over .
Cheers Ron W
Jan

:D

Now now gents!

Did we ever get the answer to Ron's question in the first place?

When did Lunts close down?

Jan
bootlebuck

red ron wrote:Now Steuart, you are thinking of the wrong Ron. This is the Ron who was buying everybodies ale all night at the YM, and I put some over the bar in case I can't attend the next two meet-ups. I think you mean Tweedledum Waters. Hope you are well Steuart. x R R
Funny you should say that Ron,unless my specs need changing you looked very like JAN when you bought mine :twisted:
SteveNsno

Jan wrote::D

Now now gents!

Did we ever get the answer to Ron's question in the first place?

When did Lunts close down?

Jan
October 1993 Jan, or so i'm reliably imformed.
" You Feed Beefburgers To Swans ! "
Dan

From the 1959 Chemical Manufacturers Directory.

Lunt, Peter, & Company, Limited, Aintree, Liverpool. Telephone: Aintree 2311. Telegrams: Softsoap, Liverpool. Passenger station: Aintree. Goods station:

Aintree and own siding. — Fortress pale and carbolic household soaps, all grades of pale and carbolic bar soap, Pelobolic carbolic soap, Lunt's palm and

olive oil soap, all grades of soft and liquid soap, Vol soap powder, Dispa detergent for delicate fabrics, London's Pride toilet soap, Willow toilet soap,

novelty soaps. See also Candle section.

Lunt, Peter, & Company, Limited, Soap and Candle Works, Aintree, Liverpool. Telephone: Aintree 2311. Telegrams: Softsoap, Liverpool. Passenger station:

Aintree. Goods station: Aintree and own siding. — All kinds of candles, for home and export. See also Soap section

From Grace's Guide.

Peter Lunt and Co, manufacturer of soap and cleaning materials, of Park Lane, Aintree, Liverpool. Telephone: Walton (Liverpool) 350 and 351.

Cables: "Softsoap, Liverpool". (1929)

of Aintree, Liverpool, 10. Telephone: Liverpool Aintree 2311-2-3. Cables: "Softsoap, Liverpool". (1947)

1870 Company established.

1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Soft Soaps, Hard Soaps (Bar and Tablet, Toilet Soaps, Candles, Transparent and Laundry

Flakes, Scouring Powder, Soap Powder, Crude Glycerine. (Stand No. M.66) [1]

1947 British Industries Fair Advert as Manufacturers of Soaps for all purposes: Household, Carbolic, Hard, Soft, Powder, Liquid, Toilet, Soapless

Detergents, Cleaning Preparations. 'Movie' Universal Cleaner Paste. Soaps; Candles; Floor, Boot and Metal Polishes. Dentifrice and Toilet Preparations.

(Chemists' Supplies Section - Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1343) [2]

1950 Advert: Movie For Cars cleaning paste for cars

1950 E. Griffiths Hughes acquired Peter Lunt and Co of Liverpool, makers of soaps[3].

1947 Advert

1951 Advert

I was looking at the environmental information on the Peerless site and it mentioned a soap manufacturing company in the corner of the

site in 1920. I don't know if this was Lunts, and I haven't a clue where it was situated in 1870.

There is a book; "Thinking Globally Acting Locally" by Peter Mittler whose father became Chief Research Chemist at Lunt's Aintree.

His father was interviewed for the job in the House of Commons by the then MD Henry Wooton Davies, who was at the time MP for the

Heywood and Radcliffe constituency.

From the little gleaned from google books, Peter and his family were pre-WWII emigrés from Germany.

He'd started his English education in the south so coming up north was a shock.

He was told, in Liverpool, you wear fair gloves and pay for your fur.
Dan

In 1914 Peter Lunt soap works was at 41-47 Hornby Street Liverpool.

Hornby Street connected Vauxhall Road to Scotland Road.

The site was sold to Tate's sugar refiners in 1939.

1939 - Peter Lunt soap factory, offices and warehouse, Hornby, Titchfield and Raymond Streets purchased.
Dan

Found this on an auction house site.

A pack of soap illustrated with London landmarks to commemorate the 1953 coronation, made by Lunt's of Park Lane.

Dan

The Times October 30 1980.

The soap and dtergent business went into receivership in October 1980 owing £500,000.