Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mack
Site Admin

Author Topic Page: 1 2 of 2
historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2005 : 03:20:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to you all from Bootle, Merseyside

Thanks everyone for all the posts to our new Bootle website.

http://www.bootlehistory.com

Excellent feedback so far of being online and we are hoping to make our website even better throughout 2006.

Let us know your thoughts....

best wishes

Mack, Jean + and all the crew from the Bootle Admin Team.

email us - bootlehistory@yahoo.com

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2005 : 13:06:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Chtistmas to all in BOOTLE and have a Happy New Year

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2005 : 01:07:31

Hiya Henry

Merry Christmas to you too + have a fabulous 2006.

Keep in touch with us here + lets hear more stories.

Best wishes

Mack

Glenys
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2005 : 09:39:25

I promise in the New Year I will sort out my photographs etc. and get them to you - maybe they will be interesting enough to put on the site!

Wishing everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 18:51:42

Hi my name is Jim and I live in New York, originally from Kirkdale.
Not from Bootle but have many memories of the place.
Saturday matinee in the Commy springs to mind, and sliding down the brass memorials in Bootle Park.
I lived in Daisy St. facing Stanley Hossy, thanks to Macker for putting the info. on the Scousehouse board, look forward to posting, all the best from JIM in New York.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 20:04:36

Hi Jim

Great to hear from you. Look forward to hearing your memories + thoughts from when you lived over here in the Kirkdale area.

Hope you have a fab New Year + good luck for 2006

Best wishes

Mack

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 13:34:22

Thanks Mack where are you from yourself, I used to spend most of my time in The Billogs and along Stanley Road.
I went to St. Johns and English Martyrs Schools, and I am now 49 years young.
All the best mate.

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 18:30:06

Hope everone has a Happy New Year and as i stated if everbody uses this site it will bring all our lost friends like JIM from New York and others to recognise it is not a big world and we can reach even the 4corners and keep in touch and reach other parts that others cant reach.Sounds like that advert on the telly doesnt it.Qnce again all the best for 2006.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 31 Dec 2005 : 02:00:58

Hi Jim

I'm originally from Croxteth Road, off Linacre Road, Bootle, a couple of streets away from Johnsons factory.

I was born in 1965 in Walton Hospital.

Linacre Road info...

The Broadway Stores is still there. all the banks ( The 3 Banks ) that surround the roundabout are now closed.

I'll have to get out with my camera + post more recent pics as to how it's all looking around here nowadays.

Ronnie Cusworth's Litherland + Ford dedicated Photo website has some great recent pics of Linacre Rd.

You can see his photo gallery by visiting...

http://litherland.mysite.wanadoo-member ... index.html

Hope this helps + have a fab New Year + the best of luck for 2006.

Mack

ps: keep in touch with your memories

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 03 Jan 2006 : 18:30:17

Thanks Mack, I used to work on Lineacre Road in Hartley,s The Butchers.
Long time ago now, I left in 1972.

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 04 Jan 2006 : 09:34:18

dear guest you are not MONTY are you who worked in that butchers

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 04 Jan 2006 : 13:59:05

No Henry my name is Jimmy Riley and I think the guy you remember may have been called Ged.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 05 Jan 2006 : 22:57:30

Hi Jimmy, was Hartley's near to Chelsea Road ?
When I was a kid my mum used to take me there + the butchers were great. They used to give me a chickens foot + when you pulled the tendons the foot moved. I used to terrify the girls in St Elizabeths school with a chickens foot.

I'd have been 7 in 1972.

Mack

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2006 : 18:24:54

I dont remember Mack, I only know that it wasn,t far past Johnson,s dry cleaners, but on the other side of the street.
One thing I do remember was that my first pay was 6 pounds and 50 pence and a leg of lamb for me mum.
I just remembered it was facing a big dept. store.

jimriley@usa.com

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2006 : 18:37:43

That last post was me Jim Riley, I have finally got around the problem of being recognised only as guest.
Now I have my identity back I will try and post more often.

Elaine

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2006 : 14:17:17

Hiya Jim
all the places you mentioned are right by where i live, i live right by the commy, all my relatives worked there when it was a bingo hall, its been a funeral parlour and everything since...
let me know if u want a recent pic or anything and i`ll shoot down with me cam
Elaine.

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 02:57:11

Hi,
I was born Hector St, Kirkdale - I suppose thats all gone now - I've lived NZ over 40yrs. I remember the Commodore cinema. I suppose Wolsey Steet gone too?

jimriley@usa.com

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 13:54:11

Hi Elaine, I only left in 1998 so all my memories are still fresh, but thanks anyway I appreciate the kind offer.
I spent most of my time in and around The Buildings, did you know it?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Elaine

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 17:42:30

Hi again jim
yes i remember the billogs well,lots of people down this end all lived there
do you remeber a family called Hoban?

Elaine

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 17:44:33

Hi also to the person signed in as guest...yes i remember wolsey street.
I live right by where Hector street used to be, we actually lived in Iris street...you probably know all my family..

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2006 : 21:01:25

Hi - has Wolsey Street gone too? Did you know any of the Whitby family who lived Hector St a long time?

Elaine

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2006 : 12:43:57

yea wolsey street gone now, well theres a couple of feet left of it which now stands a sheltered accomadation (mowbray court)

ive passed the name whitby to my mum to see if she remembers them, she asks how long ago did the family live in Hector street?
do you rememeber the Reeves`s from Iris st?

jimriley@usa.com

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2006 : 13:44:39

Hi Guy,s yes Elaine if it,s the same Hobans, they lived in Harebell Street along Stanley Road, I think it was Hobin though.
Big family, Paddy, Tommy, Mary.
Might be the same, not sure.
LOL JIM

n/a
deleted

25 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2006 : 20:29:03

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine

yea wolsey street gone now, well theres a couple of feet left of it which now stands a sheltered accomadation (mowbray court)

ive passed the name whitby to my mum to see if she remembers them, she asks how long ago did the family live in Hector street?
do you rememeber the Reeves`s from Iris st?

Hi,
I didn't live there long - but there were Whitbys living there approx 1930 - early 1960s

42aitch
Average Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2006 : 23:25:15

Hi
Hartley's Butchers was on the block between Lander Road and Cobb Avenue, facing Sturlas department Store. I used to get meat from Ronnie Hartley first for my Mum and then for myself when I got married. I lived off Linacre Road in Bowden Street until 1971 and then moved over the bridge off Stanley Park, Litherland. Sorry to say that most of the small local retailers on Linacre Road have disappeared. It looks quite different now than it was in the 60's and 70's.
Eileen

jimriley@usa.com

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2006 : 14:22:46

Hi Eileen, spot on Ron was my boss and he also had 2 sons that worked there as well Roy and Jeff.

Author Topic Page: 1 2 of 2
jubilee

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 11:42:53

only just joined and read jims note on sliding down brass memorials. did it meself. good memories.to my eternal shame i got a little brass plaque "forsythia planted 1953 for q e 2

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 22:41:24

Hi Eileen - I remember Sturlas on Linacre Road and the Colusium cinema further on. My uncle had a barbers shop in Bridge Road - Spofforths. Do you remember it. Irene

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 22:44:51

Mack Jan Jean and all the members of staff - you are doing a grand job and must be running Friends Reunited a good second if not better - its so much more direct - Thanks for all your efforts - Irene

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 00:19:06

Hiya Irene

Fingers crossed we'll get even more people chatting about Bootle memories here soon. We did contact the Bootle Times newspaper about our website but they never rang us back.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 19:24:40

re BOOTLE TIMES what a load of space that so called newspaper is.
No proper news and all ads it is a waste of money No wonder they give it away in some areas for free.

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 22:14:21

Hi Mack - All I can say its Bootle Times loss, you do a grand job and it is lovely to talk with people from round and about the areas I grew up in. MORE POWER TO YOU AND THE STAFF - Irene

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2006 : 20:17:17

When I was at school in the early 50s there were 2 Bootle newspapers - the other one was the Bootle Herald - I wonder what became of it? I was in school choir and they published photo of us but I never got to see it

quote:
Originally posted by iplummer

Hi Mack - All I can say its Bootle Times loss, you do a grand job and it is lovely to talk with people from round and about the areas I grew up in. MORE POWER TO YOU AND THE STAFF - Irene

Dan

Posted this here because of the mention of English Martyrs, above, though Litherland or Kirkdale wasn't specified.

Bootle Times April 5 1935.

The opening of the English Martyrs Church in Litherland.

Dan

Bootle Times March 22 1935

A description of English Martyrs Church.