brookhill rovers f/c 1952/3/4

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bill Tomo

from bill thompson, anyone remember this team it was managed by bill watkinson and trained by joe thompson, my dadi can recall some of the lads that played for them there was willie critchlowe from dorset st., about three of the jones boys from waterworks st.,roy,maurice, and another brother,whos, name i cant recall, roy was leading goal scorer in all divisions of the bootle j.o.c, the team won every thing, there was no one to touch them they would all meet in waterworks st., on a saturday, and they were taken to the game on the back of charlie gavins coal wagon, me and a few other lads included.. happy days ... regards bill tomo... :D :D :D
kenswayken

Hi Bill, Sorry you've had no response to this request as I would be interested to know more being born in Brookhill Rd.
Hopefully something is forthcoming. Cheers/Ken
ged-em

I was talking to Roy Jones this week (hes 80 this year), and I was telling him about this site and he started telling me about his wedding day. the reception was held in his mothers house and he had arranged for some one to bring his footie kit and boots and hide them some where,( brookhill Rovers was playing the British Enka that day.) when the party was in full swing he sneaked out and went to play in the match, he scored eight goals.
He was telling me about his brother Maurice who turned professional and played for Port Vale, Swindon Town and Celtic. not all at the same time
:) Roy said if Maurice wasn't playing and he was at home he would play for the Brookhill Rovers, which was against the rules but he would do anything for a game of footie.but you could see how much better he was than all of the rest.
ged
PETER CRAIG

Welcome to the Bootle forum Ged,
Peter.
Bill Tomo

Hello ged-em,
I am glad to get the news about Roy Jones, the tale about playing on his wedding day I am not a bit surprised, there was not a week went by when he did not score a shedfull, he was awesome in the box,but having said that he had some of the best player's in the J,O,C, feeding him , Willie Crichlowe at centre half had a limp but on the pitch no one got passed him,
There was a lad who at outside right he used to mesmorise the opposition, pace, I have never seen a winger like him except for Mathew's, and Finney, I think his name was George, I cant remember his last name, but the whole team were great, and they were untouchable,I remember they beat Mersey cables 13 nil, and they played at the north park where the cables had their pitch. Is Donny Jones still with us, I lived in Waterwork's street and I worked with Donny in the Mersey Cables he was on the next machine to me we were on permanent night's, his machine was continuous and he had an arm chair and all mod cons, we used to have a great laugh the job was a doddle,happy day's
Regards Bill tomo...
:lol: :lol: P,S,Donny was the only Jones that did not play footy..
Scot Scouse

Hi all,
Just joined and found this thread about Brookhill Rovers. I was born in 9 Waterworks Street and my Dad, Charlie (Paddy) Roberts played for the team.I was mascot and used to stand next to the ref waiting for the toss up so I would be given the coin. I have many happy memories of away games, sitting outside the pubs at the end of the match with my crisps and bottle of pop.
Waterworks Street born, now on Kintyre on missionary work!
bob. b

Great post and welcome regards Bob
Dan

Bill Tomo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm from bill thompson, anyone remember this team it was managed by bill watkinson and trained by joe thompson, my dadi can recall some of the lads that played for them there was willie critchlowe from dorset st., about three of the jones boys from waterworks st.,roy,maurice, and another brother,whos, name i cant recall, roy was leading goal scorer in all divisions of the bootle j.o.c, the team won every thing, there was no one to touch them they would all meet in waterworks st., on a saturday, and they were taken to the game on the back of charlie gavins coal wagon, me and a few other lads included.. happy days ... regards bill tomo... :D :D :D
Information taken from an incomplete set of cuttings for these seasons from the Bootle Times.