Grocery shop Brookhill Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
suepp

I am researching my family tree and have discovered that my great grandparents ran a shop in Bootle. They were John and Nora Monk, who were married in 1902. I know that John's aunt Agnes McNamee is described as running a Grocers shop at 93 Brookhill Road in the 1901 census, but I don't have any other info. My father remembers them running a shop and he was born in 1933. I know John sold coal from a cart at some point.

can anyone shed any light on this for me, I would be very grateful e.g. name of the shop
Jan

:(

Hiya,

I looked in the 1911 Directory of Liverpool and at 93 Brookhill Road was William Brady- Shopkeeper, no John or Norah Monk listed or Agnes McNamee!

I also looked in 1938 Directory for Liverpool and at 93 Brookhill Road was Mrs Henrietta Nolan - Shopkeeper.

Again no John/Norah Monk listed or Agnes McNamee.
No shop names given.

Do you have John Monk and Norah Carney's marriage cert? They married in Kirkdale St Mary.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suepp

Thank you for trying, it was a bit of a long shot. it seems the more I find out about them the more i want to know :lol:
Jan

:D

perhaps their marriage cert will give an address, they may have moved on after they married.

Jan
vera

suepp wrote:I am researching my family tree and have discovered that my great grandparents ran a shop in Bootle. They were John and Nora Monk, who were married in 1902. I know that John's aunt Agnes McNamee is described as running a Grocers shop at 93 Brookhill Road in the 1901 census, but I don't have any other info. My father remembers them running a shop and he was born in 1933. I know John sold coal from a cart at some point.

can anyone shed any light on this for me, I would be very grateful e.g. name of the shop
:D Hi i used to go to St Monicas School there
was a Joan and Vera Monk in St monicas they lived in Fernhill Rd.
by the Aintree Pub. just wondering. Vera. :D
suepp

<Hi i used to go to St Monicas School there
was a Joan and Vera Monk in St monicas they lived in Fernhill Rd.
by the Aintree Pub. just wondering. Vera.>

Hi, those names are not on my family tree. The family attended St.James church and school, at least in the late 1930's and 40's . The last address for Norah is Stafford Street. I don't know the area at all, so I've not much idea of geography apart from looking at a streetmap!

I have a long list of addresses from 1861 onwards. John and Norah got bombed out three times in the Blitz and seem to have moved around quite a bit - although they refused to move away from Bootle to North Wales which all their children eventually did.
suepp

Do you have John Monk and Norah Carney's marriage cert? They married in Kirkdale St Mary.

Jan[/quote]
Jan, can you tell me where you got the info, as I'm thinking some other family members may have married at the same church
many thanks
tina

hi
my nan Frances maddock was from brookhill rd, her sister married teddy orford and had a shop on brookhill rd before and after the war. i dont no when the maddock family moved in or out,also the orford family, can anyone help
thankyou
tina
Jan

Hi Sue,

I got the info from http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

They married in the Oct-Dec Quarter 1902, the registers are at Liverpool Records Office, or if you go to the website I have given, and search the marriage indexes (not fully indexed) then when you find the marriage there will be a reference number, if you click on the ref number you will get an application form, you will be able to print it off, fill in the rest and send it to The Cotton Exchange in Liverpool to get a copy of the certificate.

Alternatively, you can order the same certificate from The GRO (General Registry Office) in Southport giving them the Volume and page numbers (not the same ref as on lancsbmd) as that is to order from the Cotton Exchange only. I looked the marriage up in 1902 and the district was West Derby, Vol 8b page 717. www.gro.gov.uk

You can look through the Birth, Marriage and Death indexes for free if you go to www.ancestry.co.uk/ and look under the heading England & Wales BMD Index (BETA)

Jan
suepp

Hi Jan I have their marriage certificate, they lived in Bremer or "Braemar" street prior to the marriage (in different houses) but thanks for the lancs bmd link, I have found a wealth of information on there!
FrannyD

Hey Suepp,
Practically all the shops in Brookhill Road were on the even-numbered side, there was only one shop on the odd-numbered side, a little place run by a woman called Mrs Nolan.
Her Grandson,Austin, lived in his Dad's barbers shop on Stanley Rd, on the same block as Parrs, Builders Merchants, just past Marsh Lane.
Not much help,really, but....
Cheers,
FrannyD
tina

hi
did you know the maddock family i think they lived at 51 or 53. one of the maddock girls married teddy
orford from park street in the 1940s,they had a shop on brookhill road that sold sliced bread,sliced meat do you no of them.
regards
tina
suepp

Thank you for the info Fran. I'm finding out so much more as a result of the advice on here!

I would suggest to anyone to try 1837online.com. They have address listings for the census from 1861 and 1891. I have found out quite a lot from it.
Sue
n3ttl3

My dad lived in 106 Brookhill Road before the war, with his Nan & Grandad Hewson.

Don't know if that helps anyone (probably not)!

Vaguely remember going to a scrapyard that sold 'off the shelf' car parts in Brookhill Road for my Avenger!

Annette
Anne Winter

tina wrote:hi
my nan Frances maddock was from brookhill rd, her sister married teddy orford and had a shop on brookhill rd before and after the war. i dont no when the maddock family moved in or out,also the orford family, can anyone help
thankyou
tina
there was 4 shops in brookhill rd ,plus a ''chanderlers'' old mrs nolans,
and a shop on the opposite corner, further up the st, on a corner was a grocery shop, and then the chanderler,oppsite corner was a little shop that sold every thing .that was opposite the yard were the people by the name of 'gaven' had a big yard were they had trucks .thats only going
back to the 40/50es hope thats some help .
anne
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
patricia redmond

My father's family lived at 55 Brookhill Road, Orfords lived next door 57.
2 sons and 2 daughter's. Teddy, Sammy, Mabel and Bella. they later moved to Middlesex Rd. off Hawthorn Rd.
Before the Orfords lived at 57. a family named Ferwick lived there, Dorothy went to St. Monicas school as I did, I was then Patricia Collins. during the May bliltz, I with my two sisters and brother were evacuated to Hereford, when we came home to Bootle I went to St. James school.
My grandmother Kate Flanagan was married from 1 Cornwall St. in 1904. to John Collins.
I remember lots of the names and shops mentioned here on the site, I was at school with the O'keefes, and their cousin Evelyn Bass. also I did my auntie Josie's messages at Gerry Culligans (greengrocer/salt fish shop)
Does anybody remember Joe O'Hagan, he used to sell the Liquid soap, he had a shed top of Waterwork St. behind Downy's sweet shop, mentioned on the site. He used a type of 3 wheel ticycle, but suffered from some sort of "Shell Shock", but he did his rounds somehow.

As I am researching my mother's side of the F/T, I am interest in the Berry Street of 1875 to 1917. my Nan was born @ 133 Berry St. in1882. (she was Annie May Connor.) they had a hairdressing business about 1890 through to 1917. there were about 9 children in the family, Frank Connor was the eldest. the youngest was Tom, he was drown on the Tugboat "Toxteth" in 1937. my nan had a confectioners shop @ 145 Berry St. 1916/17. she made her own Ice Cream there. Ryders Dairy people showing her how.
Now to send this, not sure how, or which button to press. how it makes sense tho. from Pat.
ron waters

Pat I used to knock around with a mate who lived on the corner of Waterworks St and Brookhill Rd , his name was Tom Jones , he had a brother Maurice and another one called Donald , also in Brookhill I had another mate called Jack Carr , who had a sister Linda but died when she was about 20 , did you remember Billy Shacklady the coalman who had his yard in little Brookhill Rd , there were a few little shops in Brookhill and Waterworks St , and Irwins on the corner of Hawthorne Rd and Waterworks St , I always remember the big piece of slab cake they had on the counter .regards RON W
Anne Winter

[quote="ron waters"]Pat I used to knock around with a mate who lived on the corner of Waterworks St and Brookhill Rd , his name was Tom Jones , he had a brother Maurice and another one called Donald , also in Brookhill I had another mate called Jack Carr , who had a sister Linda but died when she was about 20 , did you remember Billy Shacklady the coalman who had his yard in little Brookhill Rd , there were a few little shops in Brookhill and Waterworks St , and Irwins on the corner of Hawthorne Rd and Waterworks St , I always remember the big piece of slab cake they had on the counter .regards RON W[/quote

Hi every one the letters about that era sure bings back memories
i remeber the ""oKeeffes and there cousin" maureen taffe" who lived in pine grove ,and pat taffe who lived back to back with us in recreation st
also remeber "tommy jones" he was a little bit older than me,he would be nearly 80 now ? he wuld remember the "gavans" as he lived almost
opposite ,on the corner ,does any one remeber any one who lived in "well lane " my two cousin jimmy, and billy McCORT married girls from there
one was "joan sheannan? "and the other one" lousie handly" on my last trip back I was told one of the handly girl still lived in "well lane" i think it was "milly" sorry to ramble on as i said it sure brings back memories .
hope any of this is a help anne maloney/winter
My name is Anne winter, I was born in Pine Grove Bootle, and went to St Monicas School,
Glenys

Anne,
You mention the O'Keeffes - can you remember any first names?
Glenys
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Mack
Site Admin

Received earlier today by email from Peter Woolley

Mack

Hi! Mack Sorry about the quality, as it is a newspaper picture.
I tried upping the DPi up to 420 but i dont think it has made any difference.

Cheers! Peter W
Anne Winter

ron waters wrote:Pat I used to knock around with a mate who lived on the corner of Waterworks St and Brookhill Rd , his name was Tom Jones , he had a brother Maurice and another one called Donald , also in Brookhill I had another mate called Jack Carr , who had a sister Linda but died when she was about 20 , did you remember Billy Shacklady the coalman who had his yard in little Brookhill Rd , there were a few little shops in Brookhill and Waterworks St , and Irwins on the corner of Hawthorne Rd and Waterworks St , I always remember the big piece of slab cake they had on the counter .regards RON W
realy ,good photo Mack the irland were the lamp post was i can remember that around the end of the war, there was a bin chained to it and ever one would put 'vege scraps in it for the pig man ,who collected them once or twice a week .all so for the person who new' tommy jones'
the motorbike that is in the picture is outside the 'jones house'
just a bit of info ANNE,SURE MAKES ME FEEL OLD.
J-P

Glenys wrote:Anne,
Glenys
Is this the same O'Keefe family that owned the greengrocers on Hawthorn Rd? There was Cissy (the mother) who ran the main shop and Chucky(her husband) who had the little branch store in what used to be the weighscale office at the corner of Waterworks St & Litherland Rd
I only remember two of their kids names. One was Gerry who went to sea and the youngest daughter was Theresa. There was another daughter that worked in the shop with her mother but I don't remember her name.
J-P
Kathy John Moorcroft

Great Photie, Peter W. and Mack, I had an Aunt and Uncle lived very close to this junction, Actualy in Waterworks Street, ( Me Mams brother, Joe Thompson, and his wife me Me Auntie Phylis, (cousins) Billy, Claire, Carol, and John, they later moved to Netherton, the house they lived in had years previously been a Boot and Shoe Repairers, I was reticent, waitin` for someone to say," No, It`s Cobblers", but it`s the truth, Honest, :lol: Cheers John
ron waters

ANNE It must be a different Tommy Jones I knocked around with , the one I knew is only about 71 { Red Ron could nt have read your message ]
that photo really brings back memories though , I remember Cissy O' Keefe
also had a little shop down near the little mission at the bottom of
Waterworks St From RON W
frank delamere

FrannyD wrote:Hey Suepp,
Practically all the shops in Brookhill Road were on the even-numbered side, there was only one shop on the odd-numbered side, a little place run by a woman called Mrs Nolan.
Her Grandson,Austin, lived in his Dad's barbers shop on Stanley Rd, on the same block as Parrs, Builders Merchants, just past Marsh Lane.
Not much help,really, but....
Cheers,
FrannyD
FRANNY D do you remember doctor mc,pherson, he had the barbers shop as a surgery, before it became a barbers shop. he stitched my scalp once, and took out a ball bearing, that i had put into my ear.[now you would be sent to hospital} we used pay him through the RECCABITES?? anyone remember them?? there used to be PARRS,then LIGGETTS grocery, then ROSS fruit /veg an entry, then a paper shop, then BECKITS fish/veg shop, then the barber. a chip shop was next run by two brothers, just after the war. CHRIS FOLEY bought it. then sold on, and bought two shops, knocking them into one as a grocery shop, then about five houses, and last was VICTORIA ASSURANCE next was hornby road.
frank
Anne Winter

[quote="Glenys"]Anne,
Glenys[/quote

glenys ,I did write to you a while back about the 'O keeffes' i remeber
the oldest girl's name was'' Babe'' then' Maggie 'then 'Gerry' , Monica came next and then 'Thereas' I new them when they lived in 'Recration st 'and then' Hawthrone rd' my Mum was a great friend of 'Sissy'.
Hope this is a help. Anne
Glenys

Sorry Anne :oops:
You are right I read your posting.
The names I was looking for were Ethel & Billy. Apologies for not replying Anne, some days I read the postings and go back later to reply.
Glenys
X
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Austin Nolan

Hi

This is a new member Austin Nolan, if you look under my first entry about Mrs Nolans grocers in Brookhill Road it will give you quit a lot more information about the shop. My gran must have taken over the shop prior to 1937 as I was born in 93 Brookhill Road in 1937.

Regards

Austin
suepp

Jan wrote::(

Hiya,

I looked in the 1911 Directory of Liverpool and at 93 Brookhill Road was William Brady- Shopkeeper, no John or Norah Monk listed or Agnes McNamee!

I also looked in 1938 Directory for Liverpool and at 93 Brookhill Road was Mrs Henrietta Nolan - Shopkeeper.

Again no John/Norah Monk listed or Agnes McNamee.
No shop names given.

Jan
Hi, i have just found out on the 1911 census that Agnes Macnamee married a William Brady! (In fact he was a boarder at that address of which Agnes was head in 1901!) the 1911 census also shows that my great grandfather's brother William Monk was living there too. John and Nora Monk lived at 16 Windsor Road, Orrell.
many thanks Jan and also to Austin Nolan . I would be really grateful if you could provide any further detail from the 1911 directory if there is anything.
thanks
Sue
Jan

:lol:

Hi Sue,

Yes they married in the Oct -Dec Q 1901

BRADY William MCNAMEE Agnes Liverpool, St. Peter Liverpool 2122LP/97/5

Jan
suepp

Thanks Jan, another certificate to send for! :lol:
Jan

Sue,

I looked in the 1914 Directory and at 93 Brookhill Road was Mrs Agnes Brady - Shopkeeper.

Jan
Jan

Sue,

The above marriage ref is to order from Liverpool Registry Office, but if you wanted to order from GRO the ref Oct-Dec Q 1901 Liverpool Vol 8b page 54.

Jan
42aitch

Hi Sue

If you just wish to have the Parish Register copy of the marriage, I am hoping to go the Liverpool Record Office this week and can get it for you and save you the £7.00 cost. I will take a photo of the entry if you wish.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
suepp

Jan, thanks for the info, it could well be that my great grandparents had some role in running the shop at a later stage, Agnes would have been 75 in 1914. She seems to have been quite a character, married three times and seemingly very kind to her nephews whose mother died when John Monk was very young.

Eileen, really kind of you to offer, a photo would be great thank you so much
Sue
This is one of the best forums around!