Pictures of Queens Rd Bootle 2004

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Author Topic
Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 20:56:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan

Photos enlarged and logo removed.
Guest wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:27 pm Author Topic
Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 20:56:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were taken before demolition.

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 21:02:49

I will be taking more Photo's in due course. These Photo's were for the purpose of writing a book about the houses in the Regeneration Programme, but I have had to put that on hold, I was hoping that I would be able to put in the name or names of builders of these houses, but I can't find any records of them. I am hoping anyone who has deeds to any of the houses in the area with names on will come forward. I have done so much research, it would be a shame to waste it!

Jan

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 23:26:16

Hi Jan

Great pics. I used to live round there. I lived in Hertford Road between 1986 - 96. Excellent that you're documenting the re-development of the area with photo's. It's a bit like a ghost town round there now isn't it. So many empty properties soon to be demolished.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 15:34:57

Hi Mack

Thanks, I am collecting any snippets I can to do with the redevelopment, it seems to have come to a standstill though! I have a letter from Newheartlands dated Aug 04, basically informing
residents that there would be 54 new dwellings built in the Queens Rd area beginning Jan 05, still no sign of them! Nobody seems to know what is going on! I have a list of every street and every property that is due for demolition/refurbishement over a 15 year phase in the Queens/Bedford area. My house is on the list. It is a great shame, these are solid houses, and have been here for over 110 years!

Jan

Peter Walsh
Advanced Member

Canada
16 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 17:32:34

Hi Mack, Re Hertford Road, I lived there in the 40' and 50's also, got into a site called Bootle Streets and there is Hertford Rd. unnamed, still between Exeter and Kebel Rd's but unnamed. Do you know why?Regards Peter.

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 19:07:37

Hi Peter,

I have an early map of the area dated 1884, Hertford Road wasn't named on this map, I think that Street was laid out much later, and I think it was adopted by the council around 1893 or built around 1893. There is an excellent book available called "Bootle Signposts" All about the streets in Bootle, their location and how some of them got their names, as well as some very useful and interesting information. All the streets in the Queens/Bedford Road area, including Hertford, were named after colleges.

Jan

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 19:18:40

Hi,

Have a look at this website!

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/press/press8.htm

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 23:41:28

Hi Peter

I used to live on the top floor of 52 Hertford Rd. It was a tiny bedsit. I'm still convinced to this day it was haunted. Baines and Morrisey were the landlords back then in the 80's + 90's when I was there.

I always wondered what these buildings were like before they were converted into flats. Or where they always flats ?

Jan, do you have any info on this ? I'd be very interested to know more about how the buildings were occupied (ie: flats or complete houses)+ who they were originally built for.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 11:56:32

Hi Peter,

I do believe that all the houses were originally built for mariners and merchants, I could look on the 1901 census and see who lived in these houses! They were not here in 1881, you have now set me a good challenge, I will get back to you with the census details.

Jan

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 13:42:39

Here we are Peter!

1901 52 Hertford Road, Bootle cum Lincacre

Catherine Waite widow age 67 Born Ireland
Daniel Waite son age 42 Grocer Employer Born Liverpool
Annie R Waite Daug
Catherine Waite Daug
Margery Waite Daug
Johanna Waite Daug School Teacher

The Children of Mrs Waite were all unmarried and mostly born in Bootle

I have a 1911 Directory for Liverpool, I looked up 52 Hertford Rd Bootle, Mrs Waite and Son Daniel were still listed there!

So I would say it was one big house, the family were in their 30's 40's.

It is fascinating to see who lived in these houses all those years ago!

Jan

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 14:27:17

WOW! Cheers Jan. Thats fascinating. When I was living there all those years ago a psychic female friend of mine told me there was the presence of an elderly Irish lady still visiting the house and she said the the top floor which is where I lived was where she mostly visited. I even ended up writing a song about her. all kinds of strange stuff used to happen like the door handle rattling + moving up and down but there was never anybody there + When I was the only occupant of the building late at night I could hear footsteps going up and down the stairs very loudly ( there was never a carpet in that hallway all the years I lived there ) so the sound really echoed throughout the building.

Fascinating stuff Jan. Cheers for the info.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 15:49:25

Wow! How spooky,

I know a lot of the houses here are said to be haunted, I found out who lived in my house in 1901, A Scotsman, Widow, living with his widowed daughter! I am wondering if any if his family died in my house! I sometimes get the creeps if I am at home alone, my dog acts a bit strange too, he jumps off the chair for no reason and walks about the house with his tail between his legs as if he is frightened of something!

My sister lives by Ash Street mission, her house is haunted! she has seen people and heard them talking! She has also seen a dog running round the house, her grandson of 4 has seen a man walking into one of the rooms upstairs, he questioned my sister as to who the man was going into the bedroom!

Jan

Peter Walsh
Advanced Member

Canada
16 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 21:06:00

Hi Mack,I used to live in #77 Hertford Rd. with an aunt, and she also had long time tenants living at 77. The house had three floors if i remember rightly and was very well built, i left in 51 for Canada, am trying to locate Patrick (Pat) o'Neill who lived in #5 Hertford Rd, last saw him in 67, at that time he was with Manweb, would be retired now. Nice talking about old times. Regards to all. Peter.

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2006 : 00:06:24

Hi Mack & Peter,

Sorry I noticed I was getting mixed up with the names in my replies!

Well, I have been doing a bit more research on the Waite Family from 52 Hertford Road.

I found this family in 1881 living in Litherland Road! They had a few more children, they must have got married or moved away. Mrs Waite's husband was also called Daniel and he was a grocer, so son Daniel must have taken over from him! Mr Waite Died in 1886 at the age of 55, on the 1881 census he was age 50!

Jan

Pictures of Queens Rd Bootle 2004
Mack
Site Admin

Thanks Dan,

I removed the original post content due to it being a duplicate, and your new version shows the original content and photo's without the Photobucket watermark.

Mack
awelfryn34

My Wife June was allowed access to the sites when they were being demolished to take photographs and video for her Art Degree.
BossHogg

I found that very interesting, I lived at 55 Wadham Road from 1969-1982. I played on Queens Road many times.
Mack
Site Admin

It was a great area to live in BossHogg :)

I'm sure you have so many great memories of living in the area from your past, too.

So many memories and stories, and a great and diverse community of people.

I often wonder if the ghosts that haunted the old buildings there still remain around the new builds, even though the old buildings are gone.

Maybe the new residents are not aware of why things are going bump in the night, hearing the sounds of voices and screams in their living rooms, lights flickering, furniture moving on its own, door handles rattling and ghostly visions of dark shadows appearing at the bottom of their beds after midnight.

Spooky stuff :)

Bril to see this old thread resurrected like a spirit from the dead and brought back to life, LOL from 2006 when I first started our Bootle Forum.

Happy Daze, Happy Memories...

Mack :D
BossHogg

I remember getting sweets from Mr Shoans corner shop and putting them on my grandma's tick sheet. It was sad to hear he'd died after having a heart attack whilst using his bacon slicer.
Bonesy

Mack wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:03 am It was a great area to live in BossHogg :)

I'm sure you have so many great memories of living in the area from your past, too.

So many memories and stories, and a great and diverse community of people.

I often wonder if the ghosts that haunted the old buildings there still remain around the new builds, even though the old buildings are gone.

Maybe the new residents are not aware of why things are going bump in the night, hearing the sounds of voices and screams in their living rooms, lights flickering, furniture moving on its own, door handles rattling and ghostly visions of dark shadows appearing at the bottom of their beds after midnight.

Spooky stuff :)

Bril to see this old thread resurrected like a spirit from the dead and brought back to life, LOL from 2006 when I first started our Bootle Forum.

Happy Daze, Happy Memories...

Mack :D

Mack, it appears ghosts from the past indeed do hang around after the old buildings have gone and new buildings built on the vacant land.

The old Moss Side hospital in Maghull stood empty for years before being demolished to make way for a housing estate and new railway station, Maghull North.
The hospital was used in WW1 to treat shell shock victims and later on became a hospital treating people with epilepsy, some of whom died there.

Fast forward to 2018.
People in the new houses who new nothing of the old hospital
Started to report of strange goings on, bumps in the night, lights being switched on and off repeatedly, voices etc.
It does make you wonder.

Keith.
Mack
Site Admin

Fascinating stuff Keith. Thanks for sharing. Spooky stuff going on there.

I've been really interested in paranormal events since I was a kid.

Mack
Dan

If you like spooky stuff, you would love Zambia, Mack.

I was there in the mid 1980's. I got into Lusaka at 7.00 one Sunday morning.

The project manager suggested I go to the hotel and get a couple of hours sleep and then we'd grab lunch by the hotel pool.

I woke up about 12.00 and heard at commotion outside. Looked out the window and there's a priest conducting an exorcism.

I learned later it was a regular occurrence; the priest being the Archbishop of Lusaka, Father Emmanuel Milongo.

He was recalled to the Vatican a few years later because he wouldn't stop performing miracles in the cathedral.

Faith healing is still practiced in Zambia, and I noticed there's a priest in Kenya who is building up a following.
Dan

Bootle Times January 14 1993.

Queens Road swimming team.